Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Recondition or New? Please advise!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Quick question: I have a Goodtime Special banjo. Other than being a bit heavy (are all banjos this heavy?) I like it. But it’s almost ten years old and the frets are wearing.

My question is this: Do I spend $500 to get a very good refretting/conditioning from Deering or do I put that money towards a new banjo? I’m never going to be a professional, but I am willing to invest a little for a good banjo.

I’d love to expert advice.
Thanks!
Nathan

2 Likes

It sounds like you like it. Yes, resonators seem to all weigh a ton. Just me, but I’d probably at least have the frets replaced. I am guessing you could get the fret work done for about half of the cost of the full “reconditioning.” A fresh set of frets and setup should make a huge difference. If you do end up selling it, you’ll recoup some of that cost and it will probably be much easier to sell. On the other hand, if you know someone who handy with maintenance and is interested in it as is, you could sell it as it sits. And if you really love it, there is nothing wrong with sending it in for the full spa treatment. For $500, I bet it would be better than when new. And, if you get stainless frets, they will likely last longer than we will.

I think I just argued for just about anyway you want to go :slight_smile: And really… there are lots of good options.

3 Likes

It’s your decision, but keep in mind that as you play banjo and are in the dark world of banjos for longer and longer, the more you will want to buy new banjos. This condition is inevitable, and is commonly known as Instrument Acquisition Syndrome, or more specifically, Banjo Acquisition Syndrome. Variants of this disease also plague guitarists, mandolinists, violinists, and the like; however, the banjo variant appears to be the most severe.

So that being said, whenever someone asks the question of repair or get a new banjo, for some reason we always tend to buy a new banjo :grin: If there’s any doubt in your mind as to whether or not your current banjo is your “lifer” banjo, then the chances are very high that IAS will catch up with you and you’ll end up wanting another banjo anyway… so if you think you have an inevitable need to upgrade, there’s nothing wrong with doing that as a beginner, as long as you’re sure about it.

7 Likes

Hi Nathan. Let’s get one thing clear right from the outset choosing whether or not to buy a banjo is never a quick question.

Most high end bluegrass banjos are heavy. That is because they generally come with a whacking great big metal bell inside called a tone ring. As bluegrass banjo players we take great pride in lugging a half a ton of brass round our necks.

My best advice is NOT to give you any advice. Sorry this is one decision you get to make on your own buddy. Why I hear you ask gif well because I suffer from Banjo Acquisition Syndrome and I already have a closet full of banjos. If I tell you to buy a new banjo, when my frets wear I’ll have to buy another new banjo banjo and my wife is already fretting I 'll trade her in next time I have the urge. two_banjos

4 Likes

I have a goodtime special, and a twanger. the twanger is a bit heavier than the goodtime special. The special doesn’t have a truss rod, and has a single coordinator rod. so the adjustments you can make on it, versus say the twanger are limited. The special is, in my opinion a great banjo. Good quality. The twanger is a couple of steps up in my opinion. It seems, from what I can tell, the heavier, the better, for reasons others may be able to explain. Maybe the way the frequencies resonate through the instrument or something really technical like that.

Anyway, both are great banjos, and I would have to give a significant edge to the twanger.

1 Like

Hey guys, thanks for advice! Good to know my banjo is meant to be a battle axe. The IAS comments got my wife chuckling - though it probably didn’t help my cause if I decide to get a new banjo. But I think I"m going to stick with the Goodtime and add some stainless frets. Again, I really appreciate your advice.

4 Likes

I notice you say “I like it” about your banjo rather than “I love it.” If it were a girlfriend, do you like her enough to spend $500 on her?

Not all banjos are that heavy. Many are much heavier. Nevertheless, piano players look at us with envy.

As a Beginner, here’s my expert advice: “Get the most banjo you can afford.”
You will get years of enjoyment from it, it will be able to handle your growth as a player and when you’ve reached the end of the line, the banjo may still have significant value, or at least significant playability for the next picker…provided you take care of it over the years.

Like you, I will never play professionally. Heck, I may never get the chance to even sit in on a jam session. But I love the sound of the banjo & play mine daily.
I was in your position awhile back. After much agonizing, I went ahead & bit the bullet & bought a Deering Sierra. While my old banjo was “decent,” the Sierra has become beloved.

As several have said, it’s a very personal decision & there is no “right” answer.
But it’s fun to go window shopping for a new banjo!

2 Likes

Good morning Nathan,
It sounds like you’re in a terrific position here. You have a nice banjo that will provide years and years of enjoyment. I understand the thought process with spending half the value of an instrument on a maintenance project. Since a high quality instrument will set you back a fair bit more than the cost of the fret project, consider this. Depending on where you live, I’ll bet you can find a good luthier who is likely able to re-dress your current frets, or, replace them if necessary. I spoke with my son (luthier) regarding the price you’ve been quoted. He stated, that’s on the high end of the high side.
Consider this, get your fret work done then begin the process of saving your boat and pony money for a new or used high end instrument. That will allow you to use the Deering as a back-up instrument as well as a terrific platform for learning how to perform repair and maintenance projects.
I’m not sure where you live, but from where I’m sitting it’s 150 miles to the next town AND you need a boat or an aircraft to get there. In fact, you need a boat or aircraft to get to my residence. Needless to say, we’re not exactly covered up with banjo players or repair facilities in my neighborhood.
Enjoy the process and always remember, youngsters can never have too many guns, golf clubs or musical instruments.
Drive fast and take lots of chances.
Lord Bless,
Jeffrey

1 Like

If you don’t mind sharing, where are you located? I am thinking Alaska or somewhere out in the ocean :slight_smile:

Good morning Mike. My wife, Patrice and I live in Sitka, Alaska. It’s located on the coastal side of Baranoff Island, about half way between Anchorage and Seattle.

Excellent! We have friends up your way (closer to Anchorage). My wife goes flying every time she visits. It is a pretty state!

It is certainly very nice living here. Of course in our little slice of it, it’s necessary to adjust to 100+ inches of rain per year. But there is something very special about living and working in a place where other folks pay to go on vacation. The woods and ocean also make a pretty dang good grocery store.

2 Likes