Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Recommended First Songs to Lead for a Beginner Mandolin Player New to Singing?

Attending Ben’s Camp in Kilgore this spring really charged up my enthusiasm for learning to play the mandolin. I have been connecting with the music community near my home and took some group singing lessons. I recently sang for the first time since 5th grade when the teacher told me to sit down because I was a terrible singer :>). At 62 years old I can laugh at that but it did take some courage to sing in public 50 years later.

Now I have been invited to join a session in August where I am expected to be prepared to lead and sing 4 bluegrass songs. So far my focus has been on staying in the background and locking in the chop chords on 2 and 4 so this is new territory for me. .

My question is what songs do you recommend that would suitable for a newcomer to singing with a bass voice and easy to play for a beginner on the mando?

Appreciate any and all advice. Thanks!

1 Like

Any & all advice? I play banjo, and trying to sing while playing is extraordinarily difficult, but I did get a bit of advice from someone experienced at this sort of thing.
First, if you don’t have to play, don’t. Just sing. Save your picking for another part of the song.
Second, if you have to sing & play at the same time, use a song you are very familiar with so you don’t have to think about it when you play it.
Third, if you’re learning a new song, sing it as you practice it, so playing and singing become one.
As for specific songs, I guess you’re on your own. Personally, I’d be looking for two-chord songs! “KISS: Keep It Simple, Stupid!”

1 Like

I’ll Fly Away
Will the Circle Be Unbroken
This little light of mine
This should help you break the ice. When you sing with others they carry you so don’t fret

Oh and just play chops when you sing

2 Likes

Useful guidance BanJoe, I will use it for sure. Thanks

2 Likes

Thanks for the song suggestions Archie!

1 Like

I’ll add some here: Amazing Grace, Nine Pound Hammer, Unclouded Day (@BanJoe’s fave)

5 Likes

Yes, by all means learn “Unclouded Day.” Try to sing it like my sister-in-law, to really make an impression. You’ll never hear it any other way!:scream:

2 Likes

Excellent, thanks for the continued help!! I am working through the suggestions.

Unclouded Day is now on the list Banjoe, especially since it was on the list for the Kilgore Cabin Camp in the spring. Thanks again.

Sorry to hear that. :wink:

I will add “You Are My Sunshine” to the list and I like everything that’s been suggested already.

1 Like

Better late than never… “Bury me beneath the willow” using open chords. Maybe go into a chop for the chorus.

1 Like

If course once you break that ice you gotta start adding new songs to the list.

songs like

Wildwood Flower
Yeh canny shove yer granny aff a bus
Donald where’s yer troosers
Jail House Rock ? Is it even possible to play that on a mandolin? I am just not sure, but probably somewhere in the world someone is looking for banjo TAB for it. And before you ask. Nope it’s not me

2 Likes

Apparently i am a bit, slow… missed the humor in your previous email @Banjoe. Tell us how you really feel about Unclouded Day. :>}

Actually well-timed @Mike_R. I will give Bury me beneath the willow a shot. Thanks

1 Like

I will take you up on Wildwood Flower, hopefully soon. I dont think my mando skills can pull off the others ;>) Appreciate you input Archie, as always.

1 Like

You’ve got to at least give it a go.

I wish I could, but the Forum guidelines prevents me from cussin’ & swearin’ & generally expressing my personal opinion of that popular song. It’s a total mystery & I do not understand why I dislike that song so much, other than the fact my sister-in-law sings it in the perfect pitch of an out-of-tune church piano.

3 Likes

Great description!

1 Like