Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Recommend a Pick for a Beginner

I use he Dunlop Primetone 1.4. I like the size and the grip, plus a heavier pick with medium strings gives the mandolin the bite it needs. I stay away from light picks and strings for everything but an electric guitar.

3 Likes

I’d definitely recommend the Dunlop Primetone 1.4 if you’re on a budget. The BlueChips are incredible, however; I would definitely recommend them if you’re willing to invest a bit more. My favorites are the TAD shape; I’d recommend a thickness of at least 40 (1mm).

7 Likes

The BlueChips are the best! I have 3 or 4 of them mostly TP60 which I like the best. They have amazing tone, and I found that until I starting using BlueChip with a right hand bevel, that I wasn’t able to play clearly. There may be a lot of other picks out there somewhat like the BlueChip, but after owning several, I know that’s all I’ll ever use!

4 Likes

I am right there with you @HeloSteve and @Michael_Mark!

I like my Dunlop thick Plectrum pick too! As I recall, it is a Primetime with the rounded-off tips - one of several samples provided by @Jake when I bought my MD-315 from the General store.

4 Likes

I’ll second @Michael_Mark‘s TAD recommendation. I got the TAD60R for my mandolin picking. Works great, and it’s nice getting 3 different tones out of the same pick.

5 Likes