Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Recommend a Pick for a Beginner

I would recommend starting with a pick in the size of a 1mm. I myself use a Bluechip 40, and I love it so much! I actually own 3 of them for back up :sweat_smile:. That’s how much I like them hahah! But I always recommend for people to start off with a 1mm size , at least . I like the Wegen Bluegrass picks in the 1mm size as well. As well as the Dunlop Ultex. All which you can find here on the General Store.

1 Like

I have tried a bunch of picks. I am currently using a Primetone triangle 1.4 and I like!

2 Likes

Thanks for your recommendation. I’m going to take a look at the General Store today after church and place some pick orders based on these recommendations.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Thanks for the comeback.

1 Like

This may sound crazy, but if you need to spend an extra $10 to get to free shipping status, you won’t regret buying a bar of soap from the general store. Ben’s sister makes them and they had a few flavors at camp. I’m not kidding, there were guys standing around sniffing those things like we were football players getting juiced up on smelling salts.

5 Likes

I’ll second the soap recommendation. I almost bought a bar until Rance shared his idea of using it to get above the free shipping amount. Brilliance comes in all forms, even big, red bearded, lumberjack-preachers. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Nicest thing anyone has said to me all day!

3 Likes

I am a beginner at guitar and find the JT’s triangular red coloured pick easy to use. As my skills improve I will invest in a similarly shaped Bluechip.

2 Likes

Which sister?

1 Like

Well, after all the recommendations, which were greatly appreciated and considered, I ordered several different kinds. Even a BlueChip TP40. Just wanted to see what a $35 pick feels like…hahaha

Thanks again everybody.

3 Likes

I suspected the blue chips were all hype until I actually used one at camp. They’re legit.

1 Like

Hey Gunnar, her name is Dinah

2 Likes

Ok I’ve heard of her

1 Like

I’d like to ask the same question, but for mandolin. I’m a beginner/intermediate player, and I’ve been using Dunlop Tortex Jazz III (1.14mm) which is a smaller pick with quite a point on it. I’m open to suggestions!

4 Likes

@NateD I started out mandolin with random guitar picks my son punched out of those fake credit cards they send you in the mail… then I got a Wegen 1.4mm triangular ($16.50 @general store) & a clear yellowish Dunlop Ultex 1.14mm flat pick (70 cents @general store). At first I had trouble using the Wegen & preferred the Dunlop especially for tremolos. As I improved, I liked the Wegen better. The bigger triangle shape made it easier to hold the pick the right way. Fast forward to now (2.5 years in to mandolin) and I don’t use the clear yellow Dunlop, & occasionally use the Wegen. My main favorite pick now is the Dunlop Primetone Triangular ultex flat pick 1.4 mm (with textured grip) ($2.99 @general store) it seems I get my best sound & accuracy with this latest pick (been using it since roughly Christmas 2019). Its something you’ve just gotta experiment with…:grin: I someday plan to try a blue chip and see how I like that…

3 Likes

I use he Dunlop Primetone 1.4. I like the size and the grip, plus a heavier pick with medium strings gives the mandolin the bite it needs. I stay away from light picks and strings for everything but an electric guitar.

3 Likes

I’d definitely recommend the Dunlop Primetone 1.4 if you’re on a budget. The BlueChips are incredible, however; I would definitely recommend them if you’re willing to invest a bit more. My favorites are the TAD shape; I’d recommend a thickness of at least 40 (1mm).

7 Likes

The BlueChips are the best! I have 3 or 4 of them mostly TP60 which I like the best. They have amazing tone, and I found that until I starting using BlueChip with a right hand bevel, that I wasn’t able to play clearly. There may be a lot of other picks out there somewhat like the BlueChip, but after owning several, I know that’s all I’ll ever use!

4 Likes

I am right there with you @HeloSteve and @Michael_Mark!

I like my Dunlop thick Plectrum pick too! As I recall, it is a Primetime with the rounded-off tips - one of several samples provided by @Jake when I bought my MD-315 from the General store.

4 Likes

I’ll second @Michael_Mark‘s TAD recommendation. I got the TAD60R for my mandolin picking. Works great, and it’s nice getting 3 different tones out of the same pick.

5 Likes