Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Rebecca Walters from Denver, North Carolina

What was it that first got you interested in playing the guitar, mandolin or banjo?
I started with Banjo, but I travel for work, and it wasn't very portable, so I switched to Mandolin. Fits under the airplane seat!

How long have you been playing and what's your motivation to play?
3 years this past January. I love to play for myself and occasionally family and friends if they ask, but I'm nervous playing in front of people, so I don't usually volunteer.

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
Cherokee Shuffle…it just makes me smile when I play it. It was also a big challenge for me to play at a fast pace.

What's your goal when playing?
To feel happy

Are there any other instruments or genres of music that you enjoy playing?
I've played piano since I was very young, and I love to play handbells!

If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
So many things come to mind…Mandolin would definitely be in there somewhere.

How long have you been a Gold Pick member?
About 3 years

Do you have a favorite technique? What is it?
Love the challenge of crosspicking and making it sound clean, also a beautiful way to play.

What artist(s) most inspire you?
None really, I just enjoy all music

What do you do for a living?
I work for a company that manufacturers hematology analyzers for hospital and clinical laboratories. After they are installed, my job is to travel to the site and work with the customer to train them how to use it and also be a consultant to get the most out of the new technology.

What would be the most amazing adventure to go on?
There are so many that come to mind, but I was awarded a trip to Banff Canada this year, so my husband and I are super excited!

How did you find out about Banjo Ben?
I was browsing You Tube when I started playing and I've never looked back.

Who are your favorite pickin’ heroes?
Sam Bush, Bela Fleck

Anything else you'd like to add?
I was so disappointed when I had to back out of Banjo Ben's inaugural cabin camp this year, but I will be there one day!
Thanks for choosing me, I'm honored to be a part of this community of musicians.

7 Likes

Welcome Rebecca! Nice to meet you, in a sense, hope to see you around the forum!

1 Like

Congratulations on being chosen “Picker of the Week”. I only been trying to play the guitar for a year, and BanjoBen Gold Member for just a few weeks. I enjoyed reading your interview answers and can certainly relate to many, especially not volunteering to play in front of people. I feel like my fingers become balloon size and just won’t do what they’re suppose too. Lol.

Congrats again.

1 Like

Great story! Glad to “Meet” you, albeit only in Cyberspace. Happy Picking!

2 Likes

YES!!! Great answer.

3 Likes

Great to meet you Rebecca, I bet you were disappointed, but hopefully you’ll get to go in the future.