Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Realistic Expectations for Progress

Hi Archie, the handling might differ but I think everyone has their own problem. We also learn and adjust. I think everyone should be understanding and be ok as we are only within acceptable limits. It keeps it interesting instead of being boring. :slight_smile:

Ryan - yeah I meant wealth. I don’t know any other meaning to it even if it had!

1 Like

In the same boat. Full time job with overtime and two young kids with about the same practice time. I always ask myself, at what point can I say, I’m a musician or a mandolin player?
Well here’s the thing, learning anything new is hard and being good at it is even harder. Here’s how my progress has gone, maybe it will help. I have been playing mandolin for a year or so. I have played through every beginner series with a pretty decent degree of proficiency on the banjo ben site and have finally progressed to intermediate(for mandolin). I also study YouTube videos, and have purchased multiple books on scales, chords, and music theory. I have learned the G and A major and minor scales up and down the whole neck and am moving on to other scales now, and I can find a note or chord pretty good by ear now. That’s a lot, right? That’s progress, and when I first started I didn’t know anything. BUUUUT, if someone comes up to me and asks me to play something, I cannot play anything. None of the songs I’ve learned are committed to memory, I learned them and moved on. And playing a scale or a lick is unimpressive right? So here’s my point, I can learn an intermediate song that someone can readily recognize and appear that I can play well, all I have to do is play that song over and over until i master it. But I’m like a one trick pony. I have learned a song, but I have not learned how to create music or express myself on the instrument. But that is my goal. Often times this is discouraging because it feels like I’m running in place, but I noticed it doesn’t take me as long to learn new songs now and I play with others on a basic level, I can create my own licks and piece things together now. If someone wants to hear amazing grace or something I can easily look it over an recall most of the song quickly… so all these things, I tell myself, is a degree of measurable progress towards my goal as a new musician, but not others expectations of what I should know. U have to ask yourself what your goal is. Define what progress is to you? Since ur a guitar player do u want to just be able to strum a few chords and sing? No shame in that and it is impressive to see someone pick a guitar and strum and sing, always a crowd pleaser. Or do unwant to be picker, or perform great solos. All these goals have intersecting avenues but very different paths.
So always try to remember where u started and where u are now. And set small definable goals. And try to enjoy the journey. It’s not always fun, but as long as it brings u happiness keep at it.

4 Likes

These are great :+1:t3:

1 Like

Great post James.

1 Like

Hi @Just_James and anyone else in this situation.

I kinda look on life as a toy box, The box is really small and only so many toys can fit in there at any one time. Try to squeeze in more and the box will break. So I keep my fav toy’s near the top within easy reach. Like my banjo it’s always handy and within reach each time a moment comes along when I feel like playing. That’s how I manage my practice. I don’t set schedule, I just log in to Ben’s lessons find the lesson I want to study click on it and absorb all the information he has assembled and worked so hard to produce.

So the advice I tend to give out is follow the path Ben has set out for your particular instrument. As you work though the lessons you will learn the knowledge and the skills you need to progress to the next level. How long you spend is determined by your lifestyle. No one can adjust that except you. Remember there is only so much room in the toy box, if you want to add something else you gotta make room to fit life in. So check out your life style. How much time are you spending on an activity you least like. ( Excluding chores like taking out the trash, these always take priority. ) Find a way to reduce the time spent on those activities or give them up altogether.

For me that would be golf. 1. I hate standing about in the cold and the rain. 2. It’s really annoying when my ball wont go in the hole. 3. Rich people get richer each time I play. Solution I gave up playing golf. Now I am richer, less stressed out and I am warm and dry having fun with my banjo. You see life ain’t so bad after all.

I hope this helps anyone else struggling to mange practice time.

4 Likes

This summerizes exactly what helped accelerate my progress on a personal-level. If use your limited time wisely, you’ll improve faster, but first you’ll want to ask yourself what you’re willing to “pay” to be good, because it is work to engage in effective practice. Video or record yourself often to track progress, but don’t forget to have fun playing material you’ve learned. …,…,…
On the Forum, you can find the “Secrets of Effective Practice” by using the search field. I recommend reading it if you get the chance. It revolutionized my playing.
Happy picking!

5 Likes

Howdy Ryan!

Lots of great advice here. Honestly I have to say that an hour a day in your situation is way more than I would expect. I’m not able to get in an hour a day and it’s kind of my job :wink: We have lots of things that pull on us, and much of that is more important than music.

It would help me help you if I knew more about your guitar journey, the kinds of things you’re currently working on and how you’re spending that hour. Also, what are your markers and measurements for success?

11 Likes

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the reply. As for my guitar journey, it all started because I have always loved to sing, from about the time I was 5 or 6 years old. One problem…I was terrified to sing in front of other people, to the point my knees would shake. So, when I was around 20, I bought my first guitar, hoping that having an instrument to hide behind would help my fears. After messing with it for maybe a year and finding I was still terrified, I put it down. It wasn’t until 16 years or so later that I decided to give it another shot. So, I have been back on the guitar since May 2020, a little over a year. I was still terrified of singing, but decided I wasn’t going to quit this time. Low and behold, I woke up a few months ago, and the fear was totally gone! I feel like I could sing and the Grand Ole Opry now and it not bother me, which has really motivated me to get better on the guitar.

As for right now, songs that I can sing, I basically just do rhythm strums (boom-chuck) with maybe a bass run or two in between chords. I also spend about 10 minutes per day on right hand rhythm practice, dampening the strings and focusing solely on my right hand with a metronome. I then do some scale work (trying to get all the major and major pentatonic scales down first), then will work on some flatpicking. I also go to 2-3 jams per week (I’m lucky to live in a bluegrass heavy part of the country), and play/sing there for 1.5-3 hours, depending. What I would like to see happen is for me to develop a solid rhythm, with fills and runs thrown in, to supplement my singing. Soloing may be something I push for down the road, but I am primarily a singer, so I think rhythm should come first. I like to use Billy Strings and Chris Stapleton to illustrate what I mean. In my opinion, Billy is a guitar player who happens to sing, while Chris is a singer who happens to play guitar. I’m more in the Chris Stapleton camp, though I am nowhere near the talent that he is. That’s not to take anything away from either Billy or Chris’ singing OR playing abilities, but it seems fairly obvious to me that Billy is a player first, while Chris is a singer first. I try to be realistic, and realize that where I am in life (raising a family, working a full time job, starting so late, etc.) is going to limit the amount of time I can spend, and therefore my development will be slower than I like. I’ve come to terms with that, but still want to maximize the time I do have.

I’m sorry for the long reply, and if I’ve left something out, let me know and I’ll fill you in, but I felt like telling the whole story would be more helpful in letting you, and the others who have offered their advice, in understanding the big picture as I see it.

6 Likes

Great post Ryan this is the best place to hide behind your guitar and sing out loud. Because we all share a common goal to do better than we did yesterday.hide2

3 Likes

Thank you sir.

3 Likes

What Archie said!

1 Like

That’s great, thanks! Have you tried any of my Bag O’ Licks lessons for guitar that focus on rhythm licks? I really think they will help you. I have 4 different ones. Regarding your practice regimen, that is really disciplined and I love it. The best way to get better and singing and playing cool rhythm licks is to practice doing it.

Also, check out my crosspicking rhythm guitar lesson. I think that type of stuff, when thrown in from time to time, really sets you apart: https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/ballads-in-g-crosspicking-guitar-rhythm-guitar-advanced

1 Like

Thanks Ben,

I’ll give them a look.

1 Like

In the short time, only a few weeks, that I’ve been a member with Banjo Ben I’ve mad so much progress following the basic rhythm course by having my guitar around whenever I’m at home and just picking it up and doing 15 - 20 minutes once or twice a day- and importantly to me - on days when I’m just not feeling it letting the guitar alone.
In the UK it’s been really hard to find a teacher that understands and can play Bluegrass style; this site has been a real revelation to me.
Thanks for getting me on the right track! G.

5 Likes

Hi Graham @gjsmudgersmith welcome to @BanjoBen’s Forum. I have to say it’s much the same for banjo players in Scotland. As I am sure you have already discovered, Ben is a brilliant teacher. If you need any help just holler. If Ben’s not around someone will step up to help. There are a lot of helpful & talented students here who are always eager to help. That’s why this is just the best place on earth to learn to play bluegrass.

1 Like

Wow, thanks for that!

1 Like