Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Question on value of a Banjo

Sounds like you may have bagged a bargain., Photo’s of the neck and inside the pot should help identify the maker. Post them here and on the Banjo Hangout where there is likely to be more expert knowledge. You say it looks and sounds good and you managed to knock off a few bucks well I think you did well even if you can’t prove it’s origin it’s still a winner.

Did it come with a case ?

3 Likes

@Archie it did come with a case,as for photos I took some with my phone and then emailed them to myself and saved them to a JPEG file I tried to upload them onto this post and it keeps telling me they are to large so I have to figure out how to resize them so they will attach to here i will eventually figure it out

As for Banjo hangout I also tried to post the photos there and for some reason it locked me out of my account and would not even let me post anything until I went and deleted the attachments so I have to figure that one out also not having a good time with my PC LOL it is one of those times I want to slam it against the floor LOL

1 Like

Hi Don

If you search Google you’ll find online software to reduce the size of your photo’s.

Here is an example https://compressjpeg.com/

3 Likes

@Archie found this interesting this one in this link is real close to the one I purchased except for a few things are different mine just has a Maple leaf between the tuning machine also the inlay up the neck are identical also mine has a clear skin that you can see through and the one I purchased is a lot cleaner than the one in the add. the tail piece is a little different also

still cannot seem to get my photos sized correctly I am really starting to wander now

1 Like

Hi Don, That looks like a well played banjo. Lots of belt buckle scratches on the resonator. The name logo looks like Letroset . I would say the number stamp could suggest a serial number compare with the photos in the catalogue

Ok if your photo is still too big, go back to the original and scale it down by 50% if it’s still to big again go back to the original and scale it down by 75% and so on.

If your case is original there may be some way to inicate the origin.

1 Like

@Archie I keep trying To get them in posted I have down sized them resized them and downsized them again and they just will not upload keeps telling me they are to large

that add I posted up just to say the one I purchased is real similar to that one in the add that head stock where the tuning machines are mounted is a little different on mine also mine looks more like a fiddle where my tuners are mounted
Have looked the one I purchased over several times and still have found no numbers,names or anything that would give me an indication as to who made it

1 Like

H Don I guess the original image must be pretty large or the compression tool isn’t working for you. You could always make a video, upload to you tube and post the link here and on the BHO.

Banjo%201%20(2)

@Archie finally figured it out more photos to come

2 Likes

Ok so don’t reduce them quite so much

Banjo%201%20(2)

@Archie is that any better

1 Like

Hi Don, This photo of Earl is 550 x 440 pixels I think you could get an even larger photo to upload say 1000 x 2000 pixel

Ear%20Scruggs

3 Likes

@Archie I think that’s as big as I can get them

3 Likes

that’s much better

3 Likes

2 Likes

Will take some more and get them up

3 Likes

3 Likes

1 Like

@Archie what are your thoughts on it so far was it worth the $150 I paid, if not that’s ok I am still happy with it, just wish it was lighter LOL

will take the resonator off and take some photos also will try to get full photos of front and back

1 Like

It looks a fine looking banjo the maple leaf inlay on the peg head looks neat and pretty distinctive. All three of my banjo’s have heavy metal tone rings. I think you did well to get it for $150.

I think someone on the BHO may be better placed to offer up an opinion as to it’s originality and value. I myself would be pleased to own it even if it proved not to be an original A. E. Smith Banjo.

2 Likes