Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Question on playing Tremolo

I have been practicing playing trimalo when I try to do a trimalo the pick seems to hang up and it just never seems to sound clean I have tried slow and fast and it always turns out the same like crap is there a trick to doing it or what I know practice practice and more practice but there has to be an easy way of actually learning how to do it correctly so it sounds good I have watched every video I can find on the technique just can not seem to get the hang of it

Thanks for any and all suggestions

1 Like

Howdy @taxwomn4evr1! Can you post a short vid of you trying to do it? That would allow me to diagnose and fix the problem.

2 Likes

If you’ll watch the videos with @BanjoBen and that young mandolin player (can’t remember his name) discussing the fundamentals, there’s one where he teaches that you don’t really place the pick flat against the string, but rather you angle the pick so the edge closest to the headstock strikes the string on the downstroke and the edge closest to the bridge strikes the string on the upstroke. That had a profound effect on my picking and I’ve actually been complimented on my tremolo technique. Hope this helps and I’m sure Ben will get back with you soon. Good luck!

3 Likes

well that would be a little difficult rite now because I had to go in for a heart procedure actually an angiogram yesterday and had stints put in as I had some blocked arteries the Dr told me to not move my right wrist rite now for the next 7 days so it is in a brace to not allow me to move it, i have been experiencing shortness of breath and my legs start shaking uncontrollably when I would try to walk 10 yards otherwise i would post do one

I am just sitting here trying to keep myself busy and thought I would ask since it is one of the things I have trouble with when I do try to play the mandolin

2 Likes

Check this out if you haven’t: https://banjobenclark.com/courses/pick-hand-foundations

5 Likes

The pick exercises in that lesson have really helped my tremolo playing.

4 Likes

thank you everyone that replied it is appreciated

As a free member can those be viewed or do yo have to have a paid subscription
just tried to open them and it says members only

1 Like

Thinking about signing up for the lifetime membership but have a question is there a way to view a sample of some of the lessons ??? before I do

3 Likes

Sure, the silver pick membership allows you to unlock any 3 member lessons. If you want to sample another lesson please email me: banjobenclark.com/contact

5 Likes

guess I did not realize that when I signed up so never took advantage of the three lessons that’s what I get for not reading through things LOL

4 Likes

I promise you that, musically, it’ll be the best investment you’ve ever made.

6 Likes

Really hope you get better sir!!!