Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Putting licks together with roles and chords

Hi!
I’ve just become a gold pick member and I am loving the site! I’m puzzled… I need to work out how I add licks into a song… for example take em away (old crow medicine show) G, C, D (chords) how do I jazz it up with licks? I can pick through a few songs now with rolls using chords witch sounds good around a fire… but I need to get my head around working in the licks… :thinking::thinking: I’ve looked for a lesson but cant find one (I may not have looked everywhere)

Help! :cowboy_hat_face::love_you_gesture:

5 Likes

First off Welcome to the forum and the BBC family! You might try Backup utility Backup rolls, Or Segway Melodic Backups. there both in the. Lesson series. Or maybe intro to melodies lesson ? Just guessing but I’m sure one of the more knowledgeable player’s will pipe in with the rite/better answer but I would start there. Happy Pickin! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Hey @lukewills3232, welcome to the forum! I’d suggest starting with one of the “Bag o’ Licks” lessons as those are very useful for learning how to incorporate licks into songs.

3 Likes

Thankyou! I will have a gander :love_you_gesture::love_you_gesture::cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

@lukewills3232, welcome to the forum! Not everybody learns the same way of course, but you’ve got some good ideas posted above. One other thought that came to mind is to seek out the tunes that Ben calls “Build a Break”, like the one for Amazing Grace. He takes the basic melody first, then repeats building in more ornaments, then repeats again adding in even more in order to demonstrate how licks can be added into a basic melody.

3 Likes

Thankyou pard!

1 Like

Great tips! Thanks!

1 Like

Welcome! Yep, both the Build-a-Break lessons and Bag O’ Licks lessons are geared toward this, as well as the lessons mentioned by @jon1. Most immediately the Bag O’ Licks lessons would help you find licks to plug in, and the Build-a-Break lessons would teach you the process of how and where to insert licks you know.

3 Likes

Amazing thanks! I will have a look! :love_you_gesture::love_you_gesture::love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

Try any of the “Build A Break” videos. Ben walks you through “hanging ornaments” on a song, so you get a pretty good feel for what kinda works and where it works.

6 Likes