Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Pull off (left hand pizzicato)

I’ve been practicing the Mandolin lesson Wayfaring Stranger and I have a question about the pull offs. I’ve noticed that @banjoben and others actually push the finger upward to pluck the string, and I’ve noticed lots of people do that on the banjo as well. I also play violin, and that’s called left hand pizzicato and is usually done by pulling down rather than pushing up. I have always pulled down on the violin and guitar, and now on the banjo and mandolin, so I’m wondering if I should switch to the up motion, or is it ok to do it either way?

Thanks; Steve

3 Likes

Hi Steve

It depends on where you are going next, and if you can get a clean sound either way…(most people can push off much easier than pull off)
If you need to play a lower sounding string next it is most efficient to push off…if you’re headed toward a string higher in note a pull=of might work best…that way you’re already headed the direction you need to go

I’d suggest doing what works the best for you and what you’re playing at the moment…

Dave

4 Likes

Hi Steve Great question and I agree with all that Dave said.

I push as well as pull and I try to follow @BanjoBen ’ s advice where possible but a lot of the time I will lapse into using what’s most comfortable to me. I would encourage you to learn both way’s as it’ll add another string to your bow or another arrow in your quiver.

4 Likes