Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Practice, practice, practice

I am slowly beginning to pick up speed. At times I actually sound like a banjo player. Still can’t play as fast as the recordings I try to play with. My g run is still slower than the rolls I play. When I try to punctuate a verse with a g run I can never play it fast enough. Ben’s lessons make playing interesting and keep me from getting bored. I am very grateful to Ben for all he has taught me and will teach me. I’m having lots of fun!

15 Likes

It takes time. Pick on!

5 Likes

Hi Paul, Best advice I can offer, don’t be in a rush to play fast. Speed will come as you gain experience. Use the TEF files to practice. It will keep your timing steady, accurate and even. No rushing to play rolls and slowing down to play licks.

Post a video and let @BanjoBen see/hear where you are at.

3 Likes

…with (correct) technique, technique, technique!

I was the same way. I’d look at the MP3’s and couldn’t even play fast enough for the slowest setting. The Tef files really helped me ramp up. I initially avoided the Tef files but once I started using them, I was able to break it down really slow. I would put the Tef setting on a loop and increase speed each loop. That allowed me to realize I could play a little faster than I thought, and also push myself, and of course realize what speed was beyond my skill level. Keep at it, it just keeps getting more fun. If at times you sound like a banjo player, that’s just gonna keep on comin and it is wonderful.

1 Like