Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Practice Monster - repertoire practice app

Following in the steps of @Mark_Rocka, I’ve built myself a practice app and thought I’d share it with y’all.

(Disclaimer: this is not intended to replace Jam Trainer in any way; in fact, I use my app beside Jam Trainer for my practice. JT is a super awesome app!)

It’s called Practice Monster (so called because I found that you can get .monster domains and thought it would be fun to get one) and is the third (and hopefully final) iteration of an idea that I’ve been mulling for years now. The core concept is as follows:

  1. Add every song that you know on each instrument that you play.
  2. Tag each song with a proficiency level, from “Just starting” to “Fully learned”
  3. The app generates a practice list for you based on these songs.

More specifically, the app builds a set of songs (by default, 5, although you can change this) that will always feature the songs you are learning while slowly cycling through your learned repertoire. For me, it was always easy to default to playing the same few songs instead of properly cycling through everything I know, so this helps force me to keep every song fairly fresh.

When you practice each song, you get to rate how well you did. Over time, this lets the song automatically increase its saved proficiency to match your reported progress.

There are a number of other features throughout the app, including a basic tuner and metronome, history information for your practice, and a very basic friends system that specifically doesn’t provide a public user search. (IMO, the best way to approach social features in an app like this is to require users to manually share contact info with each other to connect.) I plan to keep adding things as I want them (and I will happily take feature requests!).

Hopefully you find this interesting or useful, and feel free to roast me if you don’t like something!

6 Likes

@Michael_Mark gave me some great feedback. As a result, the app now lets you set the key each song is in (and you can play a tone for that key). Additionally, there is now a light mode theme if you like searing your retinas (just kidding about the retinas, but I do prefer dark mode everywhere).

I also cooked up some improvements to the friend system: you can now see basic details about how your friends are practicing, and the homepage ranks you against your friends to encourage you to keep up your practice.

2 Likes

I have been using the app for a couple of weeks now and am really enjoying it. I enjoy having a list to complete on the days when I’m all out of decision-making energy. Thanks for sharing with the Banjo Ben community.

3 Likes

Thanks for the encouraging words! I have been having fun using the app myself (which I would hope would be the case, seeing as I built the app for myself first), and I’ve been working on new stuff in the background. I have been implementing some more functionality around friends; for example, I just deployed a feature that lets you poke your friends who haven’t played for a few days.

I also have some wackier ideas brewing. Would anyone be interested in a phone app that can lock your apps if you try to doomscroll instead of getting your practice in?

2 Likes