Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Practice in A

I just discovered something fun. I checked out the mandolin backing tracks for Cripple Creek and Old Joe Clark. They are in the key of A. How fun it was to capo up and practice in a different key. I enjoyed hearing a different sound to those songs. I think I prefer A for Old Joe Clark. Probably how the original fiddle tune was meant to be played. I also practiced my backup to Cripple Creek by using the Mandolin Solo recording. It was good practice to listen for the chord changes.

4 Likes

Hi Joe, Many fiddle tunes sound so much better in the Key of A and D but are often taught in the Key of G and C respectively. Strangely to my ear at least Turkey in the Straw also a great fiddle tune sounds better in G.

I love to play tunes in E and Bb. The colour of sound sure paints a pretty picture

1 Like

It is really fun to play songs with a capo sometimes! It adds a new and exciting feel to it.:laughing:

Hey Joe, here are ways to play in various keys:

Using standard G tuning and using G chord: G, C, D
Key of A – capo 2 – capo 5th string 2
Key of Bb - capo 3 - capo 5th string 3
Key of B - capo 4 - capo 5th string 4

Using standard G tuning and using C chord: C, F, G to play in
Key of D - capo 2 - capo 5th string 2
Key of E - capo 4 - capo 5th string 4
Key of F - capo 5 - capo 5th string 5

Using standard G tuning and using D chords: D, G, A to play in
Key of E - capo 2 - capo 5th string 2
Key of F - capo 3 - capo 5th string 3

You can also play using standard G tuning and using D chords - D, G, A and, according to the song, you either capo the 5th up 2 or leave it in G – again, the song will dictate whether to capo the 5th or not.

4 Likes

Why not capo fifth string five?

1 Like

Thanks, man. I discovered this nifty chart and had tried a few positions, but never the F at the fifth in C position. After your inquiry, I gave it a spin and ouch; you’re right! The 5th string needs to go to 5. It’s now edited, but if anyone else sees an error, please let me know so we can get this thing right for everyone.

1 Like