Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Practice Chord Progressions - Suggestions Please

At my first jam session in four years I was caught on the hop with two tunes one in the Key of E the other in the Key of Dm. I managed to fake my way through these but I would like to become more proficient improvising in these keys.

So I am looking for suggestions on how best to practice moving between ALL the chords in these keys so that I can develop some head and muscle memory. In short some chord progression exercises.

1 Like

No idea what to do for Dm but for E, I like to capo 4 and play with C shapes.

1 Like

Thanks @Shad

I should have said without a capo as I like the deeper tone. But I’ll try your suggestion

1 Like

If you want to practice moving between the chords (like Fretboard Geography-style), your diatonic chords in the key of Dm are the same as in the key of F– just start and end on Dm.
You can play some of the same driving rolls as you would in normal open D position– avoiding the F# note will be the main task. You’ll also probably want to spike the 5th string.

I normally capo 2 or 4 like @Shad suggested in to play in E. If you want REALLY deep tone, bring a spare banjo and tune it down three half steps :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks @Michael_Mark I have just found a couple of great lessons by Jody Hughes on YouTube which cover Playing in Dm & E without a capo or retuning just the sort of thing I was looking for. It’s all about expanding knowledge.

2 Likes