Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Possible to send requests?

Hi, I’m fairly new to this site and was wondering if I requested certain songs, would Ben work on lessons for those songs? Not sure if that is how it works?? I’m trying to learn certain folk songs for a homeschool co-op I agreed to play at with a friend, but am too cheap to look on other sites to buy tab…

1 Like

I believe he does take song requests, but he does have a list of other lessons as well and it might take a little bit to get to. Sometimes other members could help tab something out. Either way it never hurts to ask.

1 Like

Hey Lilly! Glad to have you aboard.

Ben does indeed take lesson requests, which you can submit either on this forum (which can prompt more discussion from the rest of us) or via the contact page.

An important factor is that as of now, Ben is unable to produce lessons teaching copyrighted songs. (Fortunately, he has worked out the legal means to doing this and this will be a feature of the upcoming site remodel, though all users will be legally required to pay a small fee to access those lessons).

So, the best bet if you’re looking for help with a copyrighted song is to post your desired recording of it here (the more the better) and describe whatever you need help with!

I can write tab and will do my best to help you out as I am able (though there are times when it will simply be more beneficial to use your ear). If the songwriter/copyright holder is selling their own official tabs or sheet music for a song, I’d rather not distribute my own transcriptions of it.

What songs are you aiming for? Let us know what kind of help you need and let’s check them out together!

3 Likes

Thanks for the quick answer!
I am pretty sure I have almost two months to learn the next folk song I’ll be attempting to play on my banjo, which is Hard Times Come Again No More. There’s quite a few you tube videos that I’ve watched with banjos being played, but they are all clawhammer style… I don’t think the song is under copyright since it was written in 1854. I always feel hopeless when trying to pick something out by ear so I’ll probably use these songs as an opportunity for improvement in that area. I am definitely not naturally gifted in music when it comes to having an “ear”. I’ll take all the help I can get. We will probably be singing in accompaniment, which might be something I need to consider as I work on the song.

The other songs the co-op will be doing are:

The Friendly Beast (probably won’t be attempting this one)
On Christmas Day in the Morning
The Friendly Beasts
Freight Train
There’s a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea
Waltzing Matilda
Log Driver’s Waltz

I don’t exactly have to learn every single one and thought I would probably just try to focus on getting a few learned well enough that I will be able to play them the way the co-op needs me to. The kids are trying to learn to sing these songs while my friend and I play for them.

2 Likes

Awesome. I’m sure you can nail it down in two months!

The first step to crafting your arrangement will be to determine what key you want/need to play it in. If the singers have a preference, they should have first choice at the key. If you’re choosing the key for a larger group of people, it’s important to take into consideration the vocal ranges of your group. If your group isn’t made up of well-trained singers, it’ll be rough if things get too high! I’d check with your friend or whoever is heading up the music to see if they have a preferred key or keys for the song.

If they don’t and you feel you have a voice/range that’s fairly comparable with others in your group, test out the song in different keys and make sure the highest note is comfortable. You’ve also got to think about what key this will force you to play in on the banjo, though, so there can be a little bit of a trade-off.

The next thing to consider: what other instruments will be backing up the singing with you? If you’re solo, your playing will take on a different kind of feel than if you were playing with a bluegrass band, for instance. I might even be tempted to incorporate some more folk-y style strums rather than rolling all the way through with a bluegrass feel, but if you have a guitarist, you’ll have a lot more freedom in this area.

3 Likes

@Mingo_20 Is there a particular version of “Hard Times” that you’re trying to learn? Reason I ask is because there are so many different ways to do that song, various grooves and chords. If I knew what direction you’re headed I could maybe work up a lesson. I love that song.

3 Likes

I’m not sure… One of the you tube videos that is on the co-op playlist is by the Longest Johns band and there is also one by the 2nd South Carolina string band… I don’t know if that helps at all. I’ll try to link the lyrics we’ll be using to this post. I’m not very good with technology, so we’ll see if I can figure out how to do that.

1 Like

Finally figured out how to do it…took me awhile

@Mingo_20 Don’t know if this is of any help but I’ve just started working on “Je change un peu du vent” which uses the same tune to Freight Train.
My friend wrote the melody out for me and I made my own TAB for it. The TAB doesn’t have the note lengths on but the melody does.

1 Like

Yes, it does, thanks