Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Please plant a tree this fall

Lately I have found myself watching a lot of video’s on YouTube where folks are cutting down a ton of trees for firewood or to try-out their new sawmill or log splitter. Whilst I am not totally opposed to this kind of activity It really pains me to see giant trees that have stood for several hundred years being cut down. I’ll never get to see these trees in nature. But that doesn’t stop me thinking that future generations will look back at us and ask why we allowed this to happen.

Around this time each year I invite you to gather up tree seeds and scatter them in some wasteland or at the edge of a small existing woodland to help sustain the growth of new woodland. So many trees are under attack from insects, fungi and animals that remove the bark causing the trees to die. This year forest fires have been particularly bad all across the world. I am not ashamed to say I love trees and I would really miss if we lost the trees in our community.

This fall I plan on planting some bare root trees that will produce flowers in the springtime and fruits in the fall to help feed the wildlife in years to come. I also plan on gathering up some beech seeds which I plan to scatter at the edge of some small natural woodland close to my home. At my age it is unlikely I’ll see these trees grow to maturity. But that doesn’t matter, my grandchildren will know I planted them and their grandchildren will know too.

If you or your church / community are planning to plant trees this fall share your news here.

1 Like

Hey @Archie and others, what’s your favorite tree? Mine is definitely the Maple.

1 Like

Hi @Archie, at least trees can be planted. I know it would take several years for some trees. But Imagine, cutting down mountains. Back in around where I’m from in Tamil Nadu, I hear this is happening, and people are fighting against it. I think we may also need a song for building mountains!

1 Like

I guess all trees are my favourite, like people they come in all shapes and sizes. The ones I remember most from my childhood are Oak, Horse Chestnut, Sycamore, Willow, Silver Birch, Larch, Pine, Douglas Fir, Red Maple. Hawthorn, Blackthorn, Beech. Elder most of these are native to Scotland. But we have many trees imported from around the work back in the 1800’s including some Giant Redwood imported from California

https://www.monumentaltrees.com/en/content/benmore/

1 Like

What if I say Banyan tree?? It was my school emblem! King of the trees! :wink: It is a walking tree! Too many roots and you can’t easily root it out!!

3 Likes

I know John, and most of it is just greed. like the old gold mines land was stripped and never recovered. Don’t get me wrong I am not opposed to felling trees. We need wood. But much of the wood that is felled ends up being waste as it’s left to rot until the price is right.

1 Like

I’ve heard of the Banyan Tree but I have never seen one this looks a beauty.

1 Like

Right Archie, and there are small trees for wood. You don’t need to chop one standing for 100s of years.

1 Like

I live in what has been called “the Northern rain Forest.” Trees are everywhere. There are so many trees they have become a bit of a problem.
Because this area was scraped clean by the retreating glaciers, the soil is not very deep, so trees have shallow roots. This makes them susceptible to blow down. Every few years big winds knock down trees, which knock down power power lines, block roads, crush buildings and generally make a mess.
The State of New York launched a massive tree planting program around 1898. Now there are vast tracts of mono-cultures. 10 acres white pine, 10 acres red pine, all in neat little rows. They make lousy forests since there is no food for many critters.
Luckily, there are massive tracts of wilderness in the Adirondack Park with dozens of different species of trees rolling over the mountains like ocean waves.
Now we’re talking forest!

Here’s an interesting local issue: After the Adirondacks were pretty well logged-over in the 1840’s, the loggers planted trees to harvest again in the future. Not the fast growing pines, but oak, maple, hickory & cherry. Hardwood trees. The years went by, the trees grew up, fashions & fads came and went and now the loggers would like to harvest those trees.
“No, wait, you cannot. They are old growth trees, well over 100 years old!” say some folks.
“We must preserve these stately old giants.”
The loggers reply, “But we planted the tree with the intention of cutting it down when it was ready. It’s ready, we planted it, we want to cut it down.”
'No, no you mustn’t! Woodsman, spare that tree!"

When intellect & emotion collide.

1 Like

I hear you @BanJoe it’s the same the world over. That is why we have a huge problem. It all down to $$$. The people who invested in trees here in the UK were not Foresters or Farmers but celebrities. TV personalities, sports men & women, billionaires with a large hunk of cash who didn’t want to pay taxes. But I don’t want to get into politics. I just want to plant a seed that others might follow. If you have that much woodland close to you with that kind of diversity of trees you’re the kind of guy that could make a huge impact by collecting seeds and depositing them on wasteland. If you are a camper, fisherman or hunter even better coz you can get into the backwoods where there will be greater opportunities to scatter the seed. As for the terrain here in Scotland I have seen trees growing through solid rock. I guess a seed found a crack in the rock and germinated. Lucky for the tree that the deer couldn’t reach it.

English court fines people for felling protected trees, and rightly so!
Men fined for chopping down protected trees (msn.com)

1 Like

Hi @JohnM We have so few trees here in the UK thanks to our ancestors who cut down the ancient forests to build ships for the Royal Navy, transport convicts to Australia and to colonize America. Most trees in the UK are now protected and require a licence before felling can occur unless they are likely to endanger. Many ancient trees are plotted on Ordinance Survey Maps and it is classed as a criminal offence to cut them down even if you own the land the tree is growing on.

This famous tree caused a stir when it was felled. Someone’s good will gesture even got him into trouble for planting a replacement sapling close to the spot where this tree was felled by vandals. This whole area is protected land although open to the public.

1 Like

I definitely remember this PSA. Of course, when John Denver sings something it is hard to forget,

1 Like

Hi Archie, yeah, protecting certain trees by ordinance in your place makes complete sense. I can’t believe who would do such mischief to an iconic tree.

The original report said a teenager was arrested but my understanding is older people were involved.

BBC Reports

A man arrested over the felling of the Sycamore Gap tree will face no further action, police have confirmed.

The landmark, a focal point along Hadrian’s Wall in Northumberland, was cut down in September, in what officers described as a “deliberate act of vandalism”.

A man in his 60s was previously arrested on suspicion of criminal damage, but will face no further action, the Northumbria force said on Wednesday.

Two men aged in their 30s remain on bail. The investigation continues.

Det Ch Insp Rebecca Fenney-Menzies said: “Sycamore Gap is an iconic part of our region’s landscape, and we know just how much outrage this incident has caused.

“As always, we continue to welcome any new information from members of the public that could help us progress the investigation."

A 16-year-old boy was also arrested and bailed in connection with the felling of the tree.

In November, Northumbria Police confirmed he would face no further action.

The felling of the tree caused an outpouring of emotion, with many speaking of their sadness and shock at the tree’s destruction.

Robin Hood director Kevin Reynolds also reacted, describing the tree felling as “despicable” and saying it had left him feeling “furious”.

His 1991 Hollywood film featured the Sycamore Gap tree in one of its most famous scenes, bringing the landmark to the world’s attention.

There are hopes that cuttings and seeds taken from the tree could grow “new descendants”, with the National Trust carrying out work at its rare plant propagation nursery.

While it is hoped that the original tree will regrow from its trunk, it will take up to three years before experts know if this is possible, the National Trust has said.

1 Like

Sure 16 is too young to conceive such mischief… and hardly can be a motive… Yeah it is likely he has been used but who knows what goes behind the scenes to sweep it under the rug.