Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Playing Without Finger Picks

I agree with just about everyone’s opinion above :smiley:

I do think that if you want to learn bluegrass banjo it is critical to keep using picks until you get used to them. I had a similar experience as ChrisWms mentioned. I didn’t have finger picks when I first played with a banjo years ago and it was hard to convince myself to use them once I got them. This time, I started with picks and the transition wasn’t bad. Just don’t give yourself the option of playing without. Once you are comfortable with picks, I think there’s nothing wrong with using them or omitting them as you prefer.

6 Likes

I’m not in disagreement with what has been said in all of the above either. Just wanted to add in yet another opinion…

For straight-ahead, traditional bluegrass, a beginner should focus on using picks only at first to reduce the variables. If you are aiming for a bluegrass focus only, then stay the course!

I don’t have any aspirations of ever playing banjo professionally with a travelling band or making any money at bluegrass performances. I want to explore and learn different styles as well, and I like to explore the different sounds that that can be made with the banjo, so every once in a while I run without. I sat and listened to Alan Munde play a few beautiful melodic tunes without picks last week, and it was lovely! He was trying to demonstrate some melodic songs and wanted to not be too loud since we were sitting close to another discussion going on.

Different strokes for different folks!

8 Likes

I would say… how do you intend to play? If you intend to play without pics, practice without pics. I learned something similar to this a while back. I was really surprised how “accurate” your muscle memory is. I ALWAYS play, practice, mess around… with pics ON. I changed my banjo up a while back and went to a Crowe Spacing bridge. So, at the bridge that’s what 1/8 to 3/16 total difference in string spacing. divide that by 4, and you get… well, not much difference at the bridge, and even less the further you go toward the nut. After I did that, I couldn’t believe the difference in my playing. I was missing strings, getting really deep with my pic strokes, all kinds of errors, all because my strings weren’t where they were “supposed” to be, lol. So, I think it makes a big difference in your consistency whether you mix it up, or are consistent with your practicing style.
And I am by no means even proficient on the banjo, lol.

2 Likes

It’s just time for her to hear some good 'ol bluegrass, or go cut grass, lol.

4 Likes

I like to practice before heading out to work. During this time I’m trying to commit a new tune to memory or work out fingerings. I don’t think picks are necessary for this practice. Without picks, the house sleeps. With picks and a mute, I wake the house. There is no one in my family that shares my love for coffee and banjo at 5:30am.

4 Likes

Way back when I was in school I’d work out rolls in my desk or knee while supposedly listening ot the teacher.aaf_shifty

I figure any time or way you can spend productive tme working on music in some way is a good thing!

…I’m sorry…what was the question? :rofl:

4 Likes

I do that all the time, I’ll even do the left hand.

3 Likes

Hmmm…:thinking: I didn’t realize this issue was time specific…

3 Likes

I stopped hearing complaints when I started wearing headphones

6 Likes

As a teenager, I took my first paycheck from my first real job & bought a pair of headphones. Within hours I was lying on the couch, listening to “Blood Sweat & Tears” and loving the sounds swirling through my head.
I had no idea my mother was standing behind me, shrieking at me for having my feet on the furniture.
Those headphones were worth their weight in gold!

5 Likes

Ah but I bet you missed out on a few meal calls.

3 Likes

Not with my belly always checking the time! :grin:

4 Likes

HaHa I do that ALL the time!! My buddys are always like, “What the world are you doing?” ME is like ,“Playing banjo…”

8 Likes

well hi everyone.

so i just picked up my banjo - took it to my work area 'cause i just wanted a diversion/break for awhile. anyhow, i noticed something really strange. I PLAYED BETTER! huh? well, for whatever reason, i was able to hit the fretted strings (right hand) more cleanly! my hammer-ons and pull-offs were cleaner too. but i only changed my picking hand by choosing not to use finger picks.

am i losing my mind (probably) or need to try some new finger picks?

Oh - and am a beginner.

thanks!

Jon

Hi Jon, FWIW I tried several makes of picks before I settled on the ones I use now. If you really want to play bluegrass banjo in a three finger style then you need to acclimatise your fingers to wearing picks. As you say your a beginner and as such you really need to practice wearing picks. Are you likely to miss strings and make mistakes? Yes you are, but once you accept that fact you 'll make better progress.

If your not serious about bluegrass and playing with others then the choice of wearing picks or not, is all down to you.

I have a friend who prefers to play without picks. He plays the banjo well but when we play at a jam it’s hard to hear him play.

2 Likes

thanks for the quick reply. actually … just a bit ago, I experimented and bent up my finger picks and i definitely noticed an improvement. so “pick experimentation” is what I’ll do now.

btw - since you were so kind to reply. what Thumb-pick to you use? I still haven’t found one I really like (hit the drum head often). But maybe i just need to give more time :laughing:

1 Like

Hi Jon, I use Jim Dunlop Clear Plastic Thumbpicks they cost £1.10 here in the UK about $1.50 I use ProPik Stainless Steel Angled 2-ANG finger picks I think they cost about £10.00 each about $13.00 Not the most expensive picks but I tried many before I finally settled with these and I would strongly encourage you to do your own research. There is nothing worse than wearing picks that hurt your fingers. As a beginner I suffered for years wearing Dunlop Nickel Plated Picks before I started experimenting with other makes.

4 Likes

@Archie THANK YOU SIR! And now I have a pal in the UK to jam with when I get out there!

2 Likes

@justjon, I’m not sure a different thumb pick is going to help keep you from hitting the head. I would start by looking for something comfortable. The Golden Gate picks I find very nice. I am currently using a Blue Chip and am quite happy with it albeit a little pricey. As for hitting the head, you may want to adjust your hand position. Perhaps a little more arch would be helpful. I find as I flatten my wrist I hit the head more frequently.

2 Likes

thanks @10-S-E_Dave!

1 Like