Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Playing Without Finger Picks

Not too long ago I was watching an interview with Allison Brown, In a throwaway line, she said something to the effect about “It’s OK to practice without finger picks.”
Wow. that’s the first time in my life that I ever heard someone say that & it struck me because I often play without picks. Not as a rule, but sometimes I just want to pick up the banjo and noodle around e.g. work on left hand technique.
I’m not trying to get out a loud sound or a hard driving sound . I just want to work on the left hand, so no picks.

Am I practicing a bad habit? I don’t think so, because when I do put on the picks, it all feels nice & normal. Besides, if I play too long without picks I simply end up ripping the skin off my finger tips. (“But officer, I lost my fingerprints practicing the banjo.”)

4 Likes

When I started out, I used to practice without picks; in retrospective it hindered me a bit. I think it’s best to use your fingerpicks every time you are deliberately practicing.

9 Likes

one of my favorite banjo players is Danny Barnes. He plays some of his songs without picks for the tone mixing in clawhammer and single string techniques, sounds really great and he can play just as well with picks too.

I believe it is a good skill to have if you want to put in the time to develop it. I always liked versatility - I have been trying to practice clawhammer and pick free rolls on my daily routine

5 Likes

Alan Munde gave his fretboard geography lesson at last week’s camp without picks. And the drop thumb technique in clawhammer is essentially playing a roll without picks—as Francisco alluded. But Michael makes a good point about using picks for consistency—ensuring your unconscious finger positions aren’t confused. So I’ve provided no useful insight here at all :blush:.

4 Likes

Many people practice/play without picks. More so when soloing without other instruments. Folks who play Classic Banjo tend not to use picks. You will also note from the video his banjo is strung with nylon strings. Less demanding on the finger tips. Fingerpicks are an essential item when playing in a bluegrass band. That’s why Earl was always seen wearing them.

2 Likes

I agree. The key phrase here is “deliberately practicing.” But there are times when I am simply holding the banjo, picking out a few notes and generally feeling peaceful.
Putting on the picks would be like putting on a tie. It’s all good & proper, but do I have to? :grimacing:

4 Likes

I view playing with picks vs no picks as 2 different playing techniques. There is some obvious crossover, but your reach and angle will be different without picks, and the song will be slower.

I can play a song I know without picks, but I have to be very intentional about my right hand. It’s not automatic like when I’m wearing picks.

5 Likes

See, I just like wearing picks better, all the time. The sound I get without them is quite irritating to me when I play (like worse than just playing with a mute), and I overall just don’t like playing without them, even on fingerstyle guitar where it’s perfectly acceptable to play without picks. I like more volume, even just noodling.

7 Likes

I think it would be fine, as long as you realize you’re practicing a completely different technique. Old time and classical players don’t use picks, but they can’t get anywhere near the tone, speed, or volume of picks. So in conclusion you’d probably be fine noodling around, the only thing that might be a problem is if you have trouble switching back to picks.

2 Likes

So just to affirm I use picks all the time.

4 Likes

Me too, unless I’m playing claw. I never finger pick the banjo without my picks on.

2 Likes

Once you’ve learned to play with picks I think it’s OK to play without them once in a while. Like when you want to play quietly while sitting next to your wife and watching TV.

However, it’s dangerous to never play with picks. The first time I started playing banjo, 40+ years ago, I played without picks. When I started seriously playing about a year ago it was difficult to play with picks, but I overcame it.

3 Likes

I agree with just about everyone’s opinion above :smiley:

I do think that if you want to learn bluegrass banjo it is critical to keep using picks until you get used to them. I had a similar experience as ChrisWms mentioned. I didn’t have finger picks when I first played with a banjo years ago and it was hard to convince myself to use them once I got them. This time, I started with picks and the transition wasn’t bad. Just don’t give yourself the option of playing without. Once you are comfortable with picks, I think there’s nothing wrong with using them or omitting them as you prefer.

6 Likes

I’m not in disagreement with what has been said in all of the above either. Just wanted to add in yet another opinion…

For straight-ahead, traditional bluegrass, a beginner should focus on using picks only at first to reduce the variables. If you are aiming for a bluegrass focus only, then stay the course!

I don’t have any aspirations of ever playing banjo professionally with a travelling band or making any money at bluegrass performances. I want to explore and learn different styles as well, and I like to explore the different sounds that that can be made with the banjo, so every once in a while I run without. I sat and listened to Alan Munde play a few beautiful melodic tunes without picks last week, and it was lovely! He was trying to demonstrate some melodic songs and wanted to not be too loud since we were sitting close to another discussion going on.

Different strokes for different folks!

8 Likes

I would say… how do you intend to play? If you intend to play without pics, practice without pics. I learned something similar to this a while back. I was really surprised how “accurate” your muscle memory is. I ALWAYS play, practice, mess around… with pics ON. I changed my banjo up a while back and went to a Crowe Spacing bridge. So, at the bridge that’s what 1/8 to 3/16 total difference in string spacing. divide that by 4, and you get… well, not much difference at the bridge, and even less the further you go toward the nut. After I did that, I couldn’t believe the difference in my playing. I was missing strings, getting really deep with my pic strokes, all kinds of errors, all because my strings weren’t where they were “supposed” to be, lol. So, I think it makes a big difference in your consistency whether you mix it up, or are consistent with your practicing style.
And I am by no means even proficient on the banjo, lol.

2 Likes

It’s just time for her to hear some good 'ol bluegrass, or go cut grass, lol.

4 Likes

I like to practice before heading out to work. During this time I’m trying to commit a new tune to memory or work out fingerings. I don’t think picks are necessary for this practice. Without picks, the house sleeps. With picks and a mute, I wake the house. There is no one in my family that shares my love for coffee and banjo at 5:30am.

4 Likes

Way back when I was in school I’d work out rolls in my desk or knee while supposedly listening ot the teacher.aaf_shifty

I figure any time or way you can spend productive tme working on music in some way is a good thing!

…I’m sorry…what was the question? :rofl:

4 Likes

I do that all the time, I’ll even do the left hand.

3 Likes

Hmmm…:thinking: I didn’t realize this issue was time specific…

3 Likes