Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Playing around with Tabledit

yup, thats how that slide happened. the more I played through it the more my fingers just naturally wanted to throw that slide in there at the end, it was just kinda what my ear wanted to hear I guess and they told my fingers to get er done! LOL

Still working on the upstrokes though, that double upstroke after the initial down is hanging me up a bit but I have no doubt that’s because I have never done it before and when I have tinkered with it its been a D,U,D,U pattern. I’ll get er though, good stuff!

Good deal Brad,
Just keep playing and up strokes will become second nature. At some point, you won’t have to think “D U U D.” It just happens without effort and then you’ll have that added to your quiver. Whenever I learn a new song, there are typically things I have to repeat at a slow tempo and then gradually build up the speed once my fingers start doing it on their own.
Of course, you can try other rhythmic phrasings as well, that was just how I remembered singing it, and it seemed like a good way to bring some upstrokes in. When experimenting with phrasings, I always have to pay attention to ensure I am sticking to down strokes for down beats and up strokes for up beats. When Ben was describing how he comes up with breaks, one of his first steps is to play eighth notes (like the D U D U you described) where there are quarter notes. Then he’ll move the notes up or down and voila, a new lick is born.

I am absolutely loving the cut/paste ability on Tabledit.

I can write several alturnate measures and cut & paste to hear how they sound different to pick the one I like. It really helps me stick closer to the melody when I’m creating a break.

If I’d been working with paper on this last song I’ve been doing I would have erased my way through it Four pages ago already…haha…