Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Pitney Meyer

Mo Pitney and John Meyer

Check’em out! I’ve been following Mo Pitney for sometime now, great artist, singer and writer. John Meyer is equally as talented and I believe he was a guest at one of Ben’s Cabin Camps. And both are excellent pickers.

9 Likes

Yes, they are good friends of mine and super swell brothers. Nate Burie, another great friend, is on mandolin. John is teaching again this year in Montana.

The house on the picture is Johnny Cash’s old cabin/home built in 1830. I had my Nashville experience there last summer and slept a few nights in Johnny’s actual bed, very surreal. Mo and John came in the next day and recorded this album in the living room, can’t wait to hear it!

7 Likes

Apparently they went “old school” in the recording of this "album:. Pure analogue (including mics??). No autotune, DAWS, etc, etc… Surprised folks know how to do that much today. You have to be mindful of playing singing in tune and of course getting your picking down solid. Cutting and splicing tape on takes is timely and expensive. I think I’m thing of the right project here.

3 Likes

Yes, that’s what they did. They all recorded together in the living room live, like in days of olde.

7 Likes

As an old dude, I respect that. You can’t autotune out of reality. It is pretty much what it is. Do you know if they also “processed” from tape to “vinyl” the old way? Surprised they found a master tape recorder. Anyway, good for them.

2 Likes

https://bluegrasstoday.com/that-sounds-lonesome-debut-release-from-pitney-meyer/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR2FyhV3eLyc63ac8_mvUSoBJwmJEOf6aA8_8Xp4Tl-qyVGopEMoVHdaZpY_aem_HAzUVkcqElVsy0ICuXUchA

2 Likes

Thanks for the article link Tim C. It was a nice surprise. “No computer touched it.” We may be seeing the “push back” of what’s going on in the music industry today.

The question is, as a new artist, how do you get your realistic self out there, or do you care. If you can set up a digital studio at home, fairly cheaply, and put out your stuff on you tube, you can make it sound very very good. Most are listening on ear buds anyway and can’t hear any nuances so, what does it matter. Do the new listeners even care. As AI becomes more integrated in the music industry we will start seeing new release songs from Elvis, Michael Jackson, Linda Ronstadt, etc. What was done with Randy Travis on “his” latest single is just the tip of the iceberg. (surrogate singer with Travis wave forms overlayed). There absolutely will be a market for it. Especially if the new songs are good, and the folks are around who remember those artist. I’ve often wondered if artist and studio musicians even bring six figure instruments into the studio any more. The question is why. Mics may not pick up the nuances (unless they bring their own) and it’s probably going to be manipulated anyway in the final mix. I suspect studios can make any Martin. banjo, mando etc sound “prewar” in tone. If not now, in the near future. I digress.

So maybe what will happen, for those artist wanting their authentic selves out there, will be a set of “studios” purely setup in old school recording and processing equipment. The groundwork has been laid with the reintroduction of “vinyl” and turntables (I really laugh at that one. Folks for some reason want to introduce “scratches” (happens over time) to digital recordings and pay a premium for it). The question is… will there be a market for the old “AAS” label on vinyl. The article contained a YT clip of them recording a song on the album. You could see the relief on Pitney at the end. They got a good “take” on that run. Old school brings the best out of the artist and separates the average, good and best. Get the popcorn out. It will be fun to watch what happens over the next 5-10 years.

2 Likes