Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Picking with dogs

@Fiddle_wood, Cant really see it because he is so dark, but the black dogā€™s got his head on my leg like a pillow, I know what you mean! & yes while those mismatched sheets dont look the best, theyā€™re super easy to keep clean & swap out, unlike upholstery!

3 Likes

@Deere_Crossing yup, Gunnar has got it - The Cliffs of Moher!

2 Likes

@D_HRRFan7303 your dogā€™s kinda like my sisterā€™s dog but a little braverā€¦ you cant even sit near him, hes long gone as far away as possible with freaked out eyes so big they look like theyā€™re gonna pop out of his head! I guess youā€™ve gotta start them off young? Ours are all rescue dogs, & under a year old when we got them from the pound.

2 Likes

@Dragonslayer Thank you! I was pretty sure you knew that one! Iā€™ve been breaking up camp practice songs (not going as good as Iā€™d like them to go :thinking:) with Irish songs cuz tis the season and theyā€™re so fun to play. The dogs & the cats like it. I will say dogs are much easier to pick with than cats. Dogs sit on your feet, lean on you like a pillow, but the cats, they actually get up on you

5 Likes

@Lone_Wolf yup ours love it two (we have 3 dogs) &they all like it & actually the two in the vid were trying to go to sleep, & Iā€™ve also wondered, ā€œman is this so bad Iā€™m putting them to sleep or so good theyā€™re content enuff to sleep!ā€ Iā€™m definitely overanalyzing lolšŸ¤£!!

2 Likes

I know what you mean. My dogs donā€™t like the vacuum cleaner but theyā€™re ok with my banjo playing so at least i donā€™t sound like the vacuum cleaner :rofl: Thatā€™s a little reassuring

5 Likes

Mine either they bark their fool heads off over it.
So then its agreed at least neither of us sound like the vacuum :+1:t2: :grin::grimacing: !

4 Likes

Mine look at the vacuum and walk around it close to the wall as they can :joy:

2 Likes

Good job @Simone Next time your sisters dog visits, give the :guide_dog: a few minutes to smell the mandolin before you play. Play some low notes and let the :dog2:: sniff again. Then give the :service_dog: a treat. Repeat the process a few times soon he/she will be snuggling on the sofa with the other dogs whilst you play.

Just one final question. Is your sister **petrified ** of the mandolin. It could be that she is passing on her apprehension to the dog.:dog::dog::dog:

3 Likes

Sounds great @Simone . I remember an episode of The Andy Griffith Show where a goat stays calm with Barneyā€™s harmonica playing. For the record your mandolin sounds better than Barneyā€™s harmonica.

7 Likes

Ours is a rescue too, got her around 12 weeks, but I didnā€™t start playing music for a few months after we got her.

2 Likes

And A LOT better than Barneyā€™s cymbalsā€¦ :wink:

7 Likes

HA HA @D_HRRFan7303. I guess old Barney was a multi-instrumentalist. :grinning:

7 Likes

Definitely better than his singing voice :joy:

5 Likes

My dogsā€™ only reaction to my music is when I play harmonica, they howl. And I have no clue if thatā€™s good or badā€¦ but they live outside and I usually play inside

4 Likes

Thanks @Archie !
We did try showing her dog the mando in a quiet way so he could sniff it, but he wasnt having any of that, he was quite sure it was not to be trustedā€¦:slightly_frowning_face: (perhaps in my hands that is true lol :rofl::thinking:!!) & my sister likes string music, she just doesnā€™t play any of it herselfā€¦

3 Likes

Thank you @Stuart.Gamble ! :grin:

3 Likes

It can take time with many repetitionsā€¦it did with Otisā€¦heā€™s afraid of every thing new.

3 Likes

Donā€™t forget the treat, once the dog associates the mandolin a treat it will help to calm him. It may take a few attempts.

3 Likes

I used to have a cat (Sam) that loved guitar. He would come hang out when he heard it. He especially liked it when it was a classical piece. Heā€™d get real close to the guitar and purr loudly. As a result of my time with Sam, I got used to that. I thought it was kind of neat that music seemed to be a universal language. A dog (Gandalf) adopted me years later. I was surprised when I noticed that he would slink off whenever an instrument was in hand. I took it as an assessment of my playing. :laughing: Over time, I figured out that it was certain guitars he didnā€™t like. I wondered (still do) if it was something about the overtones. Anyway, Gandalf has been with me 8 years now and he hangs around regardless of which instrument I grab (or how poorly I play it).

5 Likes