Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Pick review

OK, so about once I a year, I splurge on picks. Last year I bought the Blue Chip JD thumb pick. It has been my go-to pick. I also bought some National NP2 brass finger picks. The NP2s feel OK, but they sound a little dull compared to stainless and I was curious if more expensive picks would sound better and be more comfortable. So, I bought the Sammy Shelor finger picks. I took advantage of Ben’s Black Friday weekend deals and bought Acri finger and thumb picks also. And just for fun, since I did not already have one, I bought a Clown Barf Golden Gate pick too.
So today they arrived in the mail. They ship things fast at Banjo Ben!!!
Here are my thoughts so far.
One of the Acri picks came bent quite a bit. Probably just an accident during packaging. I took a picture of it in case I could not bend it back. :slight_smile: I was able to get the bend out of it though. I tried them on and was not impressed. They fit strange compared to all the other finger picks I am used to. They also feel bulky and it is difficult to hit just the one string I want to with them. So off they went. I tried them 3 times tonight just to make sure it was not just a one time impression.
Then I tried the Sammy Shelor finger picks. They were a little loose and it took some time to shape them to my fingers. Even after getting them shaped, they still felt a little loose when you pull from the opposite direction of the string. For that reason, I did not like them at first. A friend gave me some cheap Ernie Ball finger picks a while back and I rarely use them. I tried them after the Sammy’s just to compare. I liked the way the Ernie’s fit and sounded.
Then I put on the clown barf pick. Wow, things feel way different. The thin Ernie Balls and the long clown barf feel so good. They sound good. And, I think they allow me to play faster.
Of course, some of that could be me warming up, so I switched back and forth between all the various picks. I also tried the Acri thumb pick. I did not like it at all. The fit is comfortable, but the material that touches the strings makes a strange sound.
After a while the Sammy’s got to be more comfortable and I can play well with them. The clown barf pick felt tighter and tighter, the longer I played. With my original blue chip and the Sammy’s, I think I could play all day. Very comfortable. My second choice, would be the clown barf and the Ernie Balls.
So in my opinion, either spend $75 in picks for all day comfort and great sound. Or spend $5 in picks for fairly comfortable, yet great sounding and fast picks.
The Acri picks are now for sale if anyone wants to try them next. LOL
Next time I feel like splurging, I think I will try the Russ Carlson Blue Chip pick. It has the length of the clown barf, yet still has the comfortable band of a blue chip.

4 Likes

i cant get away from my BCJD Thumb Pick and Dunlop Finger picks but would really love some Sammy Shelor picks but theres none here in the UK

2 Likes

Hi Lee, Have you tried the ProPicks ? I use the Stainless Steel angled picks (ProPik SS 2 - Ang) for several years now and I really like them. Supplier Eagle Music.

I used to have a problem with the Dunlop picks scratching my fingers which would become inflamed and sore, to the point where I had to stop playing for several days to allow then to heal. I tried several branded picks before I finally settled with these. They are heavy gauge and not in the least bit expensive when compared with the Shelors so if you don’t like them you haven’t forked out a fortune.

1 Like

i will have a look at the ProPik SS 2 pal thanks

2 Likes

I bought a couple of used Sammys from Russ Carson a few months back. Gave one set to Gunnar. I don’t know what his impression of them is, but when I first started using them, they felt almost slick on my fingers, almost like they had a light coating of oil inside. They still feel like that, but I’ve gotten used to it and find they glide off the strings very nicely.

3 Likes

Lol yes you do. I’ve only raved about them every chance I get :joy::joy::joy::joy:

Yeah mine did too at the start, but I got used to it as soon as I got them shaped right. They’re so comfortable, I can’t use any other picks anymore cuz they aren’t shaped the same

2 Likes

Ive ordered a few to try out… thanks Archie

2 Likes

At those sorts of prices it’s worth a try. That way if you can’t find something you really like you can then justify the cost of shipping the Shalors over from the States.

2 Likes

hey All

Since starting banjo 12 months ago I’ve 99% of the time used Dunlop 0.225 Fingerpicks and have yet to find anything better for tone

I have just purchased the ProPik SS and the tone compared to the Dunlop’s is so much thinner. They do feel comfortable but I know instantly that I will never use them and there was no choice regarding thickness so I’m not sure if they do a 0.225 to really compare

I’d love to try a pair of Sammy Shelor at some point in time when I find some over here but for now I’m sticking with the Dunlop’s

Any UK side want the ProPiks to try you’re more than welcome they cost me £12 I’d be happy with a £8 posted and worn once

2 Likes

Hi Lee sorry to hear the ProPik’s didn’t work out for you. I really love mine. Compared to the Dunlop picks I used to buy from Eagle Music the SS 2 - Ang ProPks are a much thicker (heavier gauge) metal and produce a loud warm tone.

I did try the straight blade picks but found I had to twist them on my fingers to get a fuller sound. But I had that same issue with the Dunlop’s I was striking the strings with the edge of the blade not the flat part of the blade.

Many folks in the US twist the blade and I seem to recall Alan Munde saying he twisted his blades to get more sound which is why I switched to angled picks.

1 Like

Hi Archie

You where spot on to try them pal, but what i found was they were very comfortable but defo thinner material than the 0.255 Dunlops so felt lighter and the tone was a lot thinner than that of the Dunlops

If the ProPiks had a choice of thickness, which they may have but it wasn’t a choice option from EagleMusic they may be a very good pick

Just to add ive just checked the website and the ProPik SS are a Gauge: .018"

This difference from 0.18 to a 0.255 for me is huge tonally

Thanks

2 Likes

You gotta go with your own preference for sure. I guess you’ll be ordering those Shelor’s soon. Keep us posted on the results.

1 Like

just looked and the Shelors are 0.175 so not sure now if its worth the risk TBH…

Thanks

2 Likes

I see Eagle Music are now stocking National Picks - copies of the original patent… I do believe Earl favoured the Original National Picks

Not too expensive either and they come in Brass, Nickel & Stainless Steel. Only drawback they are .025 Gauge which I guess are lighter than the Dunlop’s

1 Like

ok pal thanks will have a look at those

2 Likes