Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Pick hand tension

I am wondering if anyone has advice on how to eliminate tension in your pick hand. I don’t have any trouble with tension when I’m playing banjo, but when I play guitar my pick hand just kinda locks up if I try play anything over about 200 bpm. It mostly happens when I’m playing a lot of quarter notes in a row.

1 Like

I’d have to see a video of your picking to advise, but I can guess perhaps…

1. an anchor point that’s planting too hard and causing tension (wrist or fingers)
  2. not enough fluidity in the wrist rotation
  3. not enough movement of the full arm from the elbow
  4. squeezing the pick too hard
5 Likes

Yep, video will help a lot! You’ve probably got either a grip/position that lends itself to tension or a mental habit of tensing after a certain point.

If your picking gets inaccurate as you increase speed, locking down or trying to power through it is not the answer. Practice is :wink:

3 Likes

Okay. I’ll try to maybe get a video in the next couple of days.

3 Likes

1 month goal

3 Likes

I feel like I might have to stay up really late on May 9.:man_facepalming: 11:59, NO TENSION!

5 Likes
2 Likes

You’re doing pretty good, @KevinB! We need to work on your pick grip first. Your fingers should be crossed more, whereas right now your index is pointing toward the guitar.

I want you to watch 2 vids. The first is Kenny’s segment on playing with efficiency:
https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/inside-cabin-camp-with-kenny-smith-guitar-advanced/video/playing-with-efficiency

Next is pick hand foundation for how to hold the pick. It’s a “mandolin” lesson but the technique is the same: https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/holding-the-pick-mandolin-beginner

Watch those and report back to me about what you took away and think you need to change.

4 Likes

So I’ve been working on this stuff, and wow, that Kenny Smith video was loaded. Changing my grip took some getting used to, but it is helping get rid of tension. My problem now is that my tone with the new grip tends to be more fuzzy and muted, which I don’t like. Loosening my grip helps too, but I play really quietly when I do that and trying to increase volume results either in flying picks or tension.

1 Like

Be patient, I think the tone and volume will come as you get used to the new mechanics. Tension is the first priority here.

4 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement Ben!:slightly_smiling_face: One thing I forgot got to mention in my last post is that when I hold my pick correctly, every once in a while my index fingernail will catch on the strings. Is this a sign that my pick grip is still a bit off? It happens even when my thumb and index are pointing in opposite directions.

I need to see an up-close image or video of your pick hold while next to the strings.

1 Like

Here you go :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Looks really great!

1 Like

After attending the recent Nashville cabin camp and watching and listening to instruction I totally changed my grip and hand / arm placement. Very hard at first but after only 3 weeks I’m floating over the strings with so much less effort and the sound coming out of the guitar is better than I’ve ever heard. It’s like i got a new guitar !

7 Likes

That’s awesome @barnt7! I agree it takes some getting used to, and I still catch myself going back to my old grip every once in a while, but it does help a lot.

1 Like

Changing my pick grip to close my fist, curve my index finger, and float my hand was definitely the hardest thing I ever changed in my guitar playing and also the one I’m most grateful I did! It is 100% worth it to have a confident pick grip and a tension-free hand. (Not saying I never get tense. But I don’t feel limited by my position. Just by my current abilities!)

4 Likes