Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Pick direction for triplets

I’m confused about how to pick the run of triplets in this example (3/4 time). Is it down-up-down all the way through? Thanks.

IMG_3544 5.HEIC (562.0 KB)

Triplets are a personal preference. I’ve seen they can be down-up-down-up or down-up-down-down-up. If that makes sense.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I too think it is sort of personal preference. In a 4/4, down-up-down-up definitely works. In a 3/4, maybe down-down-down, repeating all the way, could work as well depending on the note placement (requires viewer download so can’t see the image). I too have seen both. Sometimes it would help to practice in ways you are not comfortable yet to get accustomed to it.

1 Like

It honestly depends how you’re going to finger the notes. If you use the D, A and E strings, I’d lean towards down-up-down-down-up-down for a six-note triplet run (repeating the pattern as necessary). Sheet music is tricky that way because you can use different strings/positions to play that lick.

That lick sounds familiar… is that a Vince Guaraldi transcription? :smile:

1 Like

Michael Mark. Yes. Very good!! Have you tried to play this? 192 bpm. Not easy.

1 Like

I tried my hand at that lick but I’ve never tried the piece itself on mandolin. I just love the jazz from Peanuts!!

We’re working on it. The solo for Skating is beautiful but a bear. Almost impossible for me to play as Vince played it.

2 Likes

E——-0——————-|
A—-6—-2–5–3——-|
D-5——————-5—|
G———————-——-|

This is the position I settled on, fyi.

2 Likes