Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Pick Depth & Perpendicularity

Anyone have any thoughts/ideas/suggestions regarding appropriate pick “depth” and “perpendicularity” ?
I recently read that cutting small (eighth inch notches) one quarter inch up from the tip, on opposite sides of the blade will help beginners to reduce excess motion. That is ensure correct depth and perpendicularity by snagging the strings if not done correctly.
Thinking about giving this a test run. Comments ???

2 Likes

I may recommend something like that to someone with a real observed problem, but I wouldn’t necessarily prescribe it for all.

2 Likes

Steve my advice for what it’s worth is to stop looking for faults in your playing and focus on study. When I was a beginner I spent years on the Banjo Hangout and Banjo Hollier taking bad advice from all and sundry. So many different advisors all contradicting one another, arguing with one another, and it even reached a point when they began threatening legal actions and physical violence against one another. Sad I know that banjo players should be so passionate.

I turned to @BanjoBen and focused all my time and effort studying his lessons and his teachings. I encourage you to do the same. Over time any faults you may have will correct themselves. Everything you need to get you through the beginners learning curve is on this website. Work at your own pace with no pressure. You’ll do just fine.

3 Likes

IMHO, you are going too deep into the weeds. I don’t know your musical background, but I have none. The banjo is my first foray into playing music.
What I have discovered is that there is more information than music.
Seems like everybody has some neat trick to teach you. If you’re not careful, you will waste time on tricks and never learn the fundamentals.
Listen to Archie. He’s 100% accurate.
“Everything you need to get you through the beginners learning curve is on this website. Work at our own pace with no pressure. You’ll do just fine.”
https://banjobenclark.com/university/beginner-banjo

2 Likes

I’m not sure I follow what you’re talking about. The only time I cut notches in my pick was so I could hold onto it better.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your supportive comments. I’m in total agreement with you. Previously I’ve turned to the Hangout for advice, some very good, some from galactic alien sources !!! I’ve had so-called teachers that knew tons of technique/theory but had absolutely no idea of “how to actually teach someone” anything.
More $$$ motivated !!! Result was total frustration that had terminated my banjo journey for some time.
I’ve since retired and I found Ben’s site and became a Gold Pick member and have not regretted a single day of that decision.
Only wish I had known about it years ago. Now I have a great retirement plan … I plan on playing banjo.
Thanks again guys.

7 Likes

Actually it’s for banjo finger picks. Notches on opposite sides catch strings if the picks are used too deeply.
Supposedly this is suppose to be an aid in preventing this from happening and developing proper perpendicularity of the pick. Looks like you have a good idea for flat picks too.

2 Likes

Hi Steve I have not come across this kind of pick ever. I would certainly echo @BanjoBen 's comment. A lot of these gadgets are just money spinners and have no practical purpose other than to put coins in someone else’s pocket…

Yes my point exactly, those so called teachers swamp you with poor advice. The thing is none of them show you anything of their playing/teaching skills. They want you to sign up blindly for lessons and complain when you decide to terminate the lessons.