Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Pete Seeger - A Planter of Seeds

Growing up in the 50’s & 60s I was exposed to Pete Seeger and his music through television. I never really caught on to what his message was until I watched this documentary film about his life today. Thank you Pete your words of wisdom definitely helped to shape my life.

@Archie I want to see the video but I keep getting this message… Video unavailable
This video contains content from The Weinstein Co., who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

Try it now @_Tye_Stick

1 Like

@Archie Hmmmm, maybe they don’t like Texas, it was a country at one time…lol. Still cannot access it. Im going to try another way and ill let you know.

@Archie I was just reading Pete Seegers’ Bio on Wikipedia. He was really persecuted in the 50’s for sure, I am sure in that decade if you said anything controversial you’d be hauled off to jail. Even in the 60’s lots of protest songs from the like of Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Arlo Guthrie, and the likes, such a troubled decade, 3 assassinations; Vietnam war; Bay of Pigs, Riots all over the place and people being persecuted because of the color of their skin. I myself is a child of the 60’s and 70’s. Crazy stuff happening back in those days.

Maybe some of the content remains sensitive in the southern states. It features parts of the civil rights protests, Vietnam War protests, Hudson River Protests, and the Communist Ban on Pete during the Truman Era

@Archie I was just watching a YouTube vid of an Interview he did when he was called to testify in Congress about his songs and affiliations of certain people he was supposedly known to associate with. The McCarthy era ruined a lot of peoples lives forever. It just goes to show you how much diversion and hatred for other human beings can destroy things. Thank God for our Constitutional Rights.

I have no wish to provoke a heated debate on this topic. But I think Pete found himself caught up in a political storm not of his making. I believe he did so much to change the way a nation thinks and tried his best to get a living wage and better working conditions for the workers and those out of work. All his songs carried a message that made the people want to sing them. Those same words had an impact on my life.

1 Like

@Archie im 100% with you on that one.

Hmm, it’s not working in the north either.

https://help.pbs.org/support/solutions/articles/12000000798

“As you may know PBS is not a producer, but rather a distributor of programming. Our distribution rights are fairly limited and are sometimes confined to only broadcasting. However, when PBS is allowed streaming rights they are subjected to time limitations, usually of two weeks. If a video has expired, PBS no longer holds rights to stream this program online. In these cases, an expiration date will be listed beneath the video title.”