Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Perfect Picking Chair for Serious Students

How many students would be interested in a ‘picking-chair’ specifically designed to keep you comfortable for long hours of practicing? Would this make a good addition to the B.B. Store?

I find that up to 6-8 hours of practicing per day, especially on the weekends, can stress various parts of my body. This chair seems like the perfect solution. My practice chair in contrast, has arms which interfer especially with a guitar. The luxury of sitting back in an upholstered chair and positioned upright in correct playing posture would give me more endurance to learning those delicious ‘advanced’ Tabs. Does anybody think this would be a good idea? Or does everybody (but me) practice all day standing up?

13 Likes

I would buy one for sure!

5 Likes

I’ve always wanted to try one. Is this the same as the “Pick-n- Glider”? I think it would be a great idea!

I don’t practice much standing up at all (I should).

They have a couple of these sitting out at Elderly and they are very nice and quite comfortable.

7 Likes

Usually practice guitar on the couch, banjo in a chair with arms, mandolin on a piano bench and fiddle standing up. That looks comfortable though!

4 Likes

I need one of these…where do you find them?

5 Likes

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/lifestyle/pick-n-glider-musicians-chair/430990000919000?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgbTr9YK95gIVkv7jBx3gPQq6EAQYASABEgJh4_D_BwE

7 Likes

I haven’t seen one in the store, maybe i missed them, but something else that would make practicing easier is a music stand. Seems i can never get the tab where its easily viewed, and still have a good playing posture.

4 Likes

OK. To be honest. I’d like this chair, with the following attachments:

• List item
    A music-stand built in
    Shelf for a lap-top computer
    Speakers to play B. Ben practice-loops
    Holder for picks, capos, tuners, strings
    Go-Pro or other camera for recording for ‘Video-Swap’
    Built-in guitar amplifier.

I wonder how much this would add to the price? :wink:

12 Likes

That would be the ultimate chair. I wonder if I could build something like that?

4 Likes

I had looked, and looked, and looked some more, and I had indeed found the perfect pickin’ chair.
It checked off ALL my boxes, and even includes the elusive little picker’s footrest nobody ever supplies you.
Then I woke up …

11 Likes

Deere Crossing,

How could you mention all that and leave out a cup holder?!?!?!?!?

8 Likes

Do I see an adjustable foot rest? oh Lord, yes please!

1 Like

+[quote=“Deere_Crossing, post:1, topic:10056”]
6-8 hours of practicing per day
[/quote]

ok, you lost me at practicing up to 6-8 hours a day, LOL! You go, man!

That chair does look super nice. I like your list of enhancements, plus @jw11’s cup holder. You could start an after-market custom build market - I’d get in line for that!

4 Likes

@D_HRRFan7303 If you build it, they will come…!

4 Likes

This is what you need Scottish Style upturned bucket. It’s not practice if it ain’t hurting.
Pail

16 Likes

Very nice chair and it looks very comfortable for student to do hours of practicing. As it is old thread, so I want to know if it is still available or you have some upgraded product too. Please share. Thanks

portable chair for elderly

1 Like

The perfect seat You see @BanjoBen no flashing

2 Likes

We used to have them. While it was a bucket for us, it was a tumbler for the cows to drink!

1 Like

Sorry, you mean two cup holders… one for your favorite beverage, and one to spit sunflower seeds into.

Actually, we have a chair like this… I could take the Sawzall and cut the arms off and it would be just like it… I don’t think my dear wife would appreciate if I did that though. :grinning:

My job requires me to be creative, but creativity doesn’t flow when my ass starts hurting after sitting for 30 minutes, so comfortability is my number one priority.

I’ve been looking at the Ikea Markus and the Staples Hyken (or any other chair from those brands, for that matter), but I haven’t been able to decide which one is better for me. There are some recliners and higher-end chairs like a Steelcase Leap or a Herman Miller Embody is probably a better choice, but I have a very limited budget, and I cannot buy a refurbished/used chair because those are not common in my country.