Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Passing the time... In Quarantine?

Hi Y’all,

Ok… to get past the obvious, I know the correct and obvious answer here is… 1) Pracctice and 2) Enter @BanjoBen’s contest (shout-out again to @BanjoBen for thoughtfully having this now to lift our spirits).

I am asking BEYOND the obvious…

What are you doing to pass the time specifically?

It can be music-related like learning a specific song, skill or maybe write a tune (like @Dragonslayer)…

More credit for other ideas… Or projects…

C’mon and share with your fellow forum members!

4 Likes

I still have school, but I’m practicing extra and am working on a multi interment mix/video. I’m also working on my model railroad.

3 Likes

By the way, I like your avatar with the train on it very much!

In fact, it was the motivation for my suggestion to use “Caboose” for the suggestion of the Bluegrass Ending.

By the way, it made my day that I think @BanjoBen actually used it on a tab! So cool

Ok, not really :grin:… but I do like the train avatar very much! :facepunch:

I wish I could get into Model Trains as a hobby!

4 Likes

I have been following the US primaries… On US TV. Great entertainment.

Trawling YouTube

Watching TV

Waiting on the weather picking up so I can get out to do some gardening

5 Likes

@Archie,

Primaries… Interesting! WITHOUT interest to open a debate (no politics please)… I would be so interested to get your perspective and observations on it!

You’re following it closer than I am… for sure… and for a Scotsman (or any foreigner, for that matter), I bet it is quite entertaining indeed!

Without regard for personal preference, who do you think will win?

As for TV… Do you have Netflix, per chance? Sometimes, we who watch Netflix enjoy recommending shows or series to binge-watch.

I have been reading the Bible and some other stuff too. Right now, I have my Bible, a fantasy book and Earl Scruggs 5-string Banjo Standard. I sooooo enjoy reading the story about “the old days” of his early career.

Speaking of that, as Earl’s book is to Banjo, I wonder if there is a quintessential Mandolin book (about the history of the instrument or instructional) that anyone might suggest?

ADDED NOTE: I have since opened up a separate discussion in Mandolin category for this… and ask responses to post there instead.

Anyway, thanks for checking in… and by the way, much of my family is from England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales and France.

My mom’s Grandfather (who established her family surname Burnie - shortened from McBurnie) was Scottish. Hence, I root for Scotland to do well during Rugby 6 Nations.

6 Likes

Life hasn’t changed much at all for me.

I play music and read a lot, rarely leave home, spend time with the dog, check up on old friends via phone and the .net…same old same old, except for having to make extra trips to the grocery store for missing items that are being hoarded…

5 Likes

[quote=“WillCoop, post:5, topic:10885”]
Primaries… Interesting! WITHOUT interest to open a debate (no politics please)… I would be so interested to get your perspective and observations on it!

You’re following it closer than I am… for sure… and for a Scotsman (or any foreigner, for that matter), I bet it is quite entertaining indeed!

British politics is all about policies. What each political party has to offer. It doesn’t really get down to personalities. As it would seem in the US. i.e. Donald Trump obsessing over the height of Mike
Bloomberg.**

Without regard for personal preference, who do you think will win?

From an outsiders prospective I’d like to see Joe Biden win the Presidency. I don’t really know the man or his values but what I see is a Statesman, A Leader, someone who can connect with other world leaders. I feel that is sadly lacking in Donald Trump who I regret to say is not well liked this side of the big pond.

As for TV… Do you have Netflix, per chance? Sometimes, we who watch Netflix enjoy recommending shows or series to binge-watch.

Yep we have Netflix but the other half controls the remote.

I have been reading the Bible and some other stuff too. Right now, I have my Bible, a fantasy book and Earl Scruggs 5-string Banjo Standard. I sooooo enjoy reading the story about “the old days” of his early career.

Speaking of that, as Earl’s book is to Banjo, I wonder if there is a quintessential Mandolin book (about the history of the instrument or instructional) that anyone might suggest?

ADDED NOTE: I have since opened up a separate discussion in Mandolin category for this… and ask responses to post there instead.

Anyway, thanks for checking in… and by the way, much of my family is from England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales and France.

My mom’s Grandfather (who established her family surname Burnie - shortened from McBurnie) was Scottish. Hence, I root for Scotland to do well during Rugby 6 Nations.
[/quote]#

Well it’s time to got pick some banjo

5 Likes

The good news is that I work from home already, so I already live the hermit life a bit. However, my schedule for evenings and weekends has opened up like crazy. I didn’t plan it, but at the time things started getting shut down, I had started prep work for updating some media equipment. The motivation was going to a 4k projector, but in order to do that, I needed to update the system to handle HDMI (which wasn’t in use when the existing system got put in). While dealing with that and reading up on preamp/processors, and realizing that I can now put more distinct channels into the system (7.2.4!!!) That led to the realization that power amps are much less expensive than they used to be. That led to the realization that my equipment closet might not be able to handle the weight of two 70 pound power amps. Fixing that led to me re-thinking the closet’s cooling. I also did some wall patch work and the touch up doesn’t exactly match. Looks like I have painting in my future. Ohhhh and wouldn’t it be cool to update the seating from the friend’s sofa that they “loaned” me 18 years ago? So… long and short of it, if things stay shut down long enough, I should have an updated media room. I also plan to get some other maintenance done around here. Today, I am kicking around the idea of putting together a three piece band to go spread some cheer (from safe and CDC-recommended distance). The band name was what sparked the thought: “6 Feet Apart”

8 Likes

I learned to do a backflip yesterday… honestly quarantine hasn’t looked any different for me except that now I’m not working

8 Likes

Um let’s see… yesterday’s (Tuesday)highlight was goofing around with the tenor banjo. Today (Wednesday) was mundane house chores, yard work, washed the truck, highlight was picking mando in the evening till it got dark, then continuing to pick in the dark, then (still in the dark) playing around with how very slow can I pick tunes and still sound fluent and smooth, then how slow AND how quiet can I go without losing tone & fluidity… was an interesting experiment till everyone came in, turned on the light, and looked at me like ** I **was the weirdo, ha! Go figure! :confounded::rofl::grin:

11 Likes

@Simone With all that darkness, it’s time you learned I saw the light :star_struck:

9 Likes

I would still be skiing, except all the areas have shutdown because of the pandemic. It’s snowing as I type this.

Yesterday was warm (the weather swings wildly up here this time of year) so we went out for a long hike. I have a new hobby, foraging for wild mushrooms, and spent much of the hike identifying various trees. Certain mushrooms associate with specific trees. Late April is Morel season so I was looking for Elm, Ash, and Black Cherry. Found lots of the latter two.

Musically this week I’m trying to learn John Prine’s “Souvenirs” on guitar. Taking longer than it should considering it’s only a three chorder.

7 Likes

I am kind of surprised they closed. Better safe, I guess. At Beaver Creek there were a surprising number of locals that would skin up (maybe 1700 feet vertical) and then take their well-earned downhill trip back down. I imagine one would quickly get fit if that was how they got their downhill. Good luck on the morels! They are tasty.

5 Likes

During our hike we passed near one of our usual ski trails. I suggested to my wife that we could go get our skis (we live just 7 minutes away) , hike up, ski down. That was met with hysterical laughter.

I don’t know if I have ever tasted a morel so I hope I can find some. They reportedly can be elusive. I have a list of others later in the summer easier to find and easy to identify.

Stay safe Mike.

6 Likes

I was planning on skiing once more this season but all the NY and VT ski places are closed for the season. :sob:

6 Likes

I actually went to a jam session last night. There were only four people and we stood in opposite corners of an open carport. It was a little weird but good for the soul!

8 Likes

My job has created shorter hours so I work 9-1 four days per week. I’m maintaining my time to wake up and using that time developing a morning routine that I’ve tried but just have been too busy. I’ve continued getting up at 530am but now have time for my daily Bible reading followed by a nice warm cup of tea. I’m doing 15 minutes of prayer and meditation. Finally 15 minutes of light exercise (currently using a rebounder for some cardio).

I’m learning how not be be rushed and stressed!

Everyone stays safe and clear of this virus!

9 Likes

We’ve been working in our garden a lot now that spring has arrived. Also had more time during the day, not just mornings, to study my Bible. Although I still have school like normal due to being homeschooled.

7 Likes

@Simone, when you said,

Did you mean literally or figuratively? If literally, any specific reason you stayed in the dark? What I mean is, is there a problem with the electricity in your area?

On a side note, I think that @archie was onto something when he said,

4 Likes

That sounds like a blast - and good for you to be “Socially Distant” in your jam.

5 Likes