Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Open G String Buzz

They are really nice to have. I ended dong a fret level and dress when I had my mando down to put a pickup in last weekend. I got the stewMac medium/Large combination file, and it has covered every fret type I have seen from ukes to basses. You can shape a fret with simple files. You can even get by just fine for a spot repair by using something home-made. I shaped the tip on a sanding stick to clean up file marks. You could use something like that for the whole process of crowning if desired. It just won’t be as quick.

Also, I’d suggest tapping on the fret to make sure it isn’t loose and lifted before buying a crowning file and starting to level. A loose and lifted fret isn’t particularly common, but it can happen. By tapping on a loose fret with something metal you can tell by the sound (hollow sounding compared to other frets) that it isn’t seated. If that is the issue, the repair is a little different.

2 Likes

Ok thanks for the info pal :+1:

If it is new, I would call RK and see what they suggest. They should either pay the shipping to fix it or pay a local shop to fix it for you.

ok pal will do

@Bcaves

BTW LG1, you mentioned it being annoying. I feel ya. I really do and I used to get worked up about frets from factory instruments. It is not uncommon for brand new fretted instruments to have such issues. Up until a few years ago I would sometimes see similar on Martins (the instrument brand I know best) costing a few thousand (Martin has added an automated step that helps address that). I suspect that it is likely that a few months ago the banjo did not buzz. As with anything made with wood, it’s gonna change with temperature and humidity. Dropping action in the winter often reveals setup issues that you can’t hear in October.

Some might be thinking “Ahhh, you are just saying that to make him feel better.” Well, yeah I do want to help alleviate some frustration, but what I am saying is also what I find to be common. I don’t get frustrated (like I used to) about fret leveling, nut or saddle height. Here’s a few things I have found to be common:

• new instruments are seldom set up to my preference. Many are ridiculously high
  • fret leveling is often not done on many brands. I have found that they can’t add leveling without upping the price
  • a fret leveling may be necessary, but here’s the kicker… when you get the frets leveled, it really ups the level of the instrument. It’s like getting a nice upgraded set of tires on a car. More often than not, I will level frets on a new instrument.
  • While it seems like a “defect” (and it could be), it is more likely is a slight variation that went unnoticed until the action dropped.

I’ll put it this way… if I were looking at buying a fretted instrument that I liked, but it had the issue that your banjo has, it wouldn’t affect my opinion of the instrument one little bit.

I hope you enjoy your instrument all the more once you get the fret(s) leveled.

1 Like

Hi Mike

Thats great info and i’m in know way frustrated to the level of not playing it as it really isn’t that bad but i noticed it and with it being brand new i thought best to get it sorted… it still plays great and im loving it :+1:

Thanks pal

Did you get this fixed? It may be the fret had popped up a little.

Hi @Jono

Yes pal got it back yesterday from the luthier and had quite a bit more fret levelling than first thought. He said for a new banjo he was surprised that most the lower frets needed work

On the plus side the shop where I got it from paid for it under the warranty at a cost of £80

1 Like

Glad you got it all fixed. Now you can carry on enjoying your RK.

1 Like

Yes pal I’ve had 4 days withdrawal symptoms from it so had time with the new mando and some Arkansas traveler :grinning: