Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Old Joe Clark Mandolin Contest!

This is the entry for my grandsons’.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6AxVVIuoqU&feature=youtu.be

9 Likes

Here is my humble entry for the mandolin contest.

11 Likes

Even though it still only gets one entry, I tried doing both the single melody and double stop as an exercise for my brain and fingers.

9 Likes

It’s not pretty, but here’s my entry

10 Likes

Good Job boys.

Great job, everyone! I’ll do a FB live today at noon central and also post the 3 winners here. I’ll then follow up with the winners via email. Thanks!

Nice job, Rebecca. All that and left handed too. Great!!

Mighty impressive!

1 Like

Thanks Wendell. I use Banjo Ben’s site a lot and I take an “on-ground” lesson and hour a week. Practice every day 2-4 times

1 Like

Good job. Keep it up

It’s funny to see so many put themselves in front of the camera and play. Really enjoyed all of them.

Yes, it’s good for people! I’m so proud of the entries! It takes a lot of courage and hard work to make a video and upload it. Even if an entrant doesn’t win, they still benefit from the process greatly.

1 Like

Congrats to Courtney (@Wendell) Martin, Ron Gray (@rsgray1906), and Art Gibson ( @Art) for winning the contest! You can watch the video of me drawing the winners at facebook.com/thebanjoben

I’ll be emailing the winners, so keep an eye out for that. AND, check back later this week for a banjo contest! Thanks for all the entries!

6 Likes

Thanks, @BanjoBen! We enjoyed it! Looking forward to the banjo contest now…

1 Like

Thanks for the contest Ben!!!

Congratulations to the winners and to everyone who put up an entry!

It’s great to see so many put up a video entry!

2 Likes

Just like to echo what Dave Long had to say and add that it is really nice to see lots more ladies posting vids.

1 Like

True!

This was my first time ever recording myself on any instrument. One thing I noticed in the process was that I was shooting myself in the foot with my fretting hand. I noticed that I was curling my wrist underneath the mandolin as a way to cradle the neck, which was actually severely inhibiting my reach up the neck with my ring and pinky fingers.

(I commented on one problem here). I started working on a more solid wrist position and saw instant improvement.

I wondered if I was doing the same thing with my banjo playing. Sure 'nuff. I made the adjustments and licks I’ve had trouble with for years instantly worked themselves out.

2 Likes

So many great musicians on here playing for the love of the music. I’m inspired! I enjoyed every single video!

Very nice take on that. Sounded almost like a waltz. I think I heard some minor notes in there too.