Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

OK, here is my first submission

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Makes a feller want to get up and dance a jig… whilst playing the banjo, of course…

3 Likes

Outstanding! Time and tone is great! Like @Michael_Mark says there are a few double thumbs in there, which work okay now, but will keep you from going much faster. I heard it on the 0-2 on the 4th string and also during a couple of the G licks at the end of phrases. So good!

8 Likes

Thanks Jack much appreciated, I do have an arrangement that I worked up years ago. But I keep having a train wreck on one of the licks. I also have Ben’s TAB from the old site. I haven’t played IFA in years so I may revisit it and see if I can figure out why I keep having train wrecks with it.

3 Likes

Thank’s Daniel.

2 Likes

Absolutely no problem Sir. I just feel so blessed to be a part of this. Such great folks, great tabs, great instruction, and heck… there’s even @BanjoBen :wink:

I do enjoy it, and it makes for getting my way with the wife and kids… I just threaten to play the banjo, and they snap to attention, lol. Nah, not really.

4 Likes

Great Job! Nice clean picking, super crisp and great tone on that Twanger. Makes me want one even more.

3 Likes

Great job again Daniel! How many BPM? I’m practicing it at 80 to 85.

Fastest version I’m aware of is Alan Jackson’s which is at 112.

2 Likes

Ben, is it a cardinal rule never to double thumb? Or are that times when it cannot be helped. I’m probably doing it a lot, and am not even aware of it.

3 Likes

Great picking, very clean and good timing! I second Michael Mark’s suggestion, and as a general rule I play a slide or hammer on whenever possible unless it needs to be picked to make the roll work

3 Likes

No idea @Treblemaker, i don’t use a metronome. I’ll figure it out tonight when i get home and let ya know.

1 Like

Jack,To the best of my knowledge it’s ok to double thumb on slow songs. Playing quarter notes and some 8th notes where the melody falls on two strings in a row i.e. 4th String followed immediately with the 3rd String ( simply because your thumb is travelling in that direction.)

It’s common practice when playing 8th notes in Scruggs style you should only play single thumb unless the 8th note is preceded by a quarter note.

You may wonder why that is. But if you consider that almost every Scruggs style tune we start off by learning to play it slowly and once we become more proficient we want to speed things up.

So when you think about it all those 8th notes become shortened to 16th notes as we speed up. So whilst it’s not necessarily a cardinal rule, it makes more sense and it’s more practical to adhere those guidelines.

If you find you have acquired a habit of double thumbing I would encourage you to go back to @BanjoBen 's lessons on basic roll patterns and do a couple of months of woodsheding on those roll patterns to help you break the habit. It’s amazing how quickly you progress once you can interchange those roll patterns on the fly. Learning to play licks and phrases are so much easier when you can play rolls on autopilot.

Hope this is of some help.

5 Likes

vey nice picking keep going

3 Likes

I am confused… for most people I know that would show their chin.

:crazy_face:

5 Likes

:smirk:

2 Likes

Nope, not a cardinal rule but it’s physically impossible to play as fast if you do that.

2 Likes

Well, ive been unsuccessful at figuring this out Treb. Maybe @BanjoBen knows some app that can “listen” to it and spit it out. Shoot, maybe he can listen to it and spit it out. We’ll just have to pick the beats out of the “backer juice”, lol.

2 Likes

Do have a way of sharing your tab or can you not because of copyright?

I don’t know if he has a tab or not, but I think @BanjoBen can PM you his if you need it… I’d encourage you to pick it out by ear first though; it’s a very worthy pursuit to strengthen your ear.

1 Like

I got that tab from William Nesbit. Here is a link to it.
http://littlerockbanjo.com/videopage-4.htm

1 Like

Thank you.

1 Like