Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Oh Come all ye Faithful

With all the hot, humid weather and a couple of rains already, it’s starting to feel a bit like Christmas. So here’s a great Christmas Carol, and a really awesome banjo solo in general! Full excuses list in the description at YouTube.
This is the hardest solo I’ve tackled in a long time, and it took about three days before I could play it smoothly even slowly. It’s got some great licks, and has mobilized both my hands in new ways. @BanjoBen, thanks for this arrangement it’s awesome!

12 Likes

Wow, that’s really fast! Great job!

1 Like

Thanks! I played along with the fastest backing track which is smoking!

1 Like

Well done Gunnar, I have steered well clear of this lesson due to it’s difficulty. I take my hat off to you Sir. A fine attempt indeed.

2 Likes

This is very, very difficult. I’d have to practice it longer than 3 days to get it back in shape!

5 Likes

Thanks Archie! I tackled it with some trepidation, but also with the knowledge that everything I’ve tried to learn from Ben I’ve managed, so I knew it would just take some time

1 Like

It is!

Excellent job, especially on the run down before the “Christ the Lord” part. That’s a finger twister. If I screw up any part of that song, it’s right there, but you played it nice and clean. Bravo!

3 Likes

Thanks Mark! That’s where I mess up most too, and you can tell in the video I was real happy to make it through there clean

1 Like

Yeah, I know that feeling, but sometimes I am so happy for making it through a stretch that I mess up the next. :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

I can’t tell you how often I’ve done that! Also smiling at the camera messes me up sometimes :joy::roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yeah, I was recording some videos today, and I was trying some “Gunnar Expressions” and it was messing me up to much. :joy:

2 Likes

Super work Gunnar!

1 Like

Thanks Peggy!

Lol, I guess it’s easier for me since I’ve been making faces forever…

1 Like

Once again, wow!!! “Gunnar Express with Gunnar Expressions!”

2 Likes

Thanks John! :joy::joy:

2 Likes

That was quick! :wink:

1 Like

Yikes!!! It takes me weeks to master simple quitar arrangements! Oh, my poor skills! :joy:

Oh, and by the way, great job Gunnar!

2 Likes

You’ll get quicker with time and practice!

Thanks! :joy:

1 Like

nice picking there G

1 Like