Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Octave Mandolin

I have been messing around with my Octave Mandolin and I have to say I just do not like the sound of an Octave Mandolin I am thinking about selling it or trading it for something I do like another Mandolin a Banjo or something LOL, I do not know what it is about it but every time I play it I have it in my head it should sound like a mandolin which I absolutely Love the sound of a Mandolin thank god I got this Octave free because I would be banging my head against a wall if I had payed anything for it, any suggestions for me t make me change my mind on the Octave it is a beautiful F Style Octave but I just cannot seem to wrap my head around the sound that comes out of it have changed strings tried a capo nothing seems to make me want to play it.
Thanks for reading my rant LOL

1 Like

yeah, it’s different sounding.
maybe try listening some…and see if something clicks

4 Likes

@Fiddle_wood I have done exactly what you are suggesting and nothing seems to work as far as making me want to play it have watched those and probably 100 other videos and i do not know I just do not like the sound, its sad because I know beautiful music comes out of them but there is just something about it I do not like

1 Like

Well, you could always just send it on over to me… :grin: :wink:

3 Likes

Hey, it is what it is. Not everyone likes everything.
Go in the direction your tastes inspire you to…

4 Likes

Never heard of one, or seen one, but loved the sound. Especially the guitar shaped one.

2 Likes

yes they do have a pretty nice sound but after you have played a mandolin it is just to hard to get used to for me LOL

2 Likes

I just got an Eastman MDO-305 and I really love the sound. Any chance Ben might do an Octave lesson?

2 Likes

I’ve never owned one, but love the sound of them! But everyone has their own preferences of course! :wink:

4 Likes

I may do that!

2 Likes

@BanjoBen what did you mean by I may do that

1 Like

I believe he was referring to the question about octave lessons

2 Likes

Ok just was not sure what he was saying would be helpful to reply with a quote LOL

1 Like

You can look at the upper right corner of the comment and see who I was replying to, thanks!

2 Likes

An 8 string Guitar!

1 Like

See that now never could figure out why there would be names up in the right hand corner LOL I am a little slow

2 Likes