Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Ob3 ob5........?

Hey Ya’ll,

I’m having trouble telling the difference between the Gold tone OB3 Twanger VS the OB5

Is there any difference between them?

Thanks!! :}

Hi @sonovtheking Chris this may go some way to answer your query. I have not heard of the OB5 but that don’t mean alot. This however is the back story to the OB3 Twanger

I’m not familiar with the OB-5. Have you checked out Gold Tone’s website? You can filter down to all of their 5 string resonator banjos there.

OOPS!!! I meant OB-250!! sorry about that sweat_smile::roll_eyes:

They’re very similar. I’m not that familiar with the OB250, but from what I can see on the site, the differences are:

OB-250 - Maple neck, 1-3/16" ZeroGlide Nut, Terminator tail piece, maple resonator, and an engraved armrest.

Twanger - Mahogany neck, 1-1/4" Bone nut, Presto Style tail piece, mahogany resonator, plain arm rest.

I’ve never played a 250, but one of the campers had one at camp once, so I got to hear it. If you’re looking for the best tone, the Twanger is the clear winner.

3 Likes

If you’re really looking in to the OB-250, I just noticed that @Mason_Crone just put his up for sale. You can check it out here.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1420046991578476/posts/3587353118181175/?comment_id=3587362824846871

You’d be hard pressed to find a Twanger at that price.

3 Likes

It’s actually the OB 250+ with the JLS tone ring. Even better :wink::joy:

3 Likes

OOH!!! Thats awesome!!! THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH!!!

P.S. Hey Mason! I’m a subscriber to your channel! :laughing:

2 Likes

I have a Oscar Schmidt mahogany resonator Banjo SO… Just looking for a future option.

And I’m left handed so it makes it harder to find good quality instruments that are left handed!:unamused:

2 Likes

Speak to @Jake at the General Store. He should be able to find you a LH Banjo.

1 Like

Will do!! Thanks!!