Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Nut width

— Begin quote from "mreisz"

I guess I’ll never get a Lloyd Loar F5, as I doubt I’ll find one with a wide fingerboard.

— End quote

Sure, that’s why you would never have a Lloyd Loar:!: Just kidding.

I think what feels comfortable is something you adapt to or get used to from constant repetition. I’ve had a Gibson J-60 guitar since 1996 with about 1 23/32" nut width & very wide string spacing (strings are very close to the edge of the fretboard). When other people play it, most of them pull the high E over the edge & ask… “how do you play this thing”? I’ve grown so used to it that I’ve let some great guitars go (probably much better than this Gibson & sounded better) because I couldn’t stand the narrower nut & crowded string spacing. One was a Collings D-1, another was a 72 Gallagher G-70 & the most recent A '56 Martin D-18. I kinda regret getting rid of the last two but I’m a player not a collector & they weren’t getting played. It sounds nuts but I kept an $1100.00 guitar over all those because it’s the most comfotable guitar I’ve ever played… until recently.

I picked up an '08 Collings D-2HG (German top) with 1 23/32" nut width with almost identical string spacing & neck shape - just a slight V. Other than the sound (the Collings sounds better), with eyes closed it would be hard to tell which guitar is which, they’re that close. The finish is even the same. So I guess I was fortunate to find another guitar this close to what I’m used to & am comfortable with. Only problem is, it’s hard to play other people’s guitars or ones at guitar stores.

I know you guys were talking about mandolins, but I thought I’d throw that in.

BTW, I prefer 1 3/16" nut on a mandolin. I’d like to know what Adam Steffey’s is, He looks as if he has pretty big hands & he doesn’t seem to have any trouble.

J.W.