Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

No more likes?

Oh, and just FYI guys, there’s a few of you that are “members” that are on the verge of becoming “regulars” or are “basic” trying to get to “member” and you may have been in that state for some time now, even if you’ve been around for several years.

The system is automated and will advance your status based on your activity and you are granted more privileges as your status advances. The system looks at your activity in the past 100 days and measures criteria such as likes given, days visited, likes received, topics viewed, topics replied to, posts read, and more. For example, the ‘days visited’ criteria requires a minimum of 50% to advance from trust level 2 (member) to trust level 3 (regular), but that’s just one criteria.

The primary things that holds people back are ‘days visited’, ‘likes given’, and ‘topics viewed’ in that order. Occasionally, I notice someone that has met all criteria except one, they have only visited the forum 48 days out of the past 100 or they are just 3 likes shy of the minimum. When I see something like that, I usually send a PM just to let them know.

I hope that helps for those of you that are curious as to why someone new may have a higher status than you who have been around for years.

13 Likes

I agreed with you, but it got me curious. I started poking around, Check out the descriptions for the various levels:
Member: Granted invitations, group messaging, more likes
Regular: Granted recategorize, rename, followed links, wiki, more likes
Leader: Granted global edit, pin, close, archive, split and merge, more likes

Looks like “likes” are indeed a currency. I am surprised. I did a little more research and it looks like it is an adjustable setting, but I didn’t find where that setting was.

Thanks for all the good info in the next post too!

11 Likes

As well as Likes etc me thinks @BanjoBen has some input in granting privileges on the forum. Yes I do believe likes, posts referral’s and @names is a currency which helps Ben to fund the forum. Remember the days of the Pay-Per-Click ?

Maybe when he gets back from his trip he may find to address these query’s.

10 Likes

@Severin - & continue you must, as long as playing (audience or not) brings you happiness :blush:. My 1st year playing mando I picked alone in a warehouse of furniture on my lunch break. It was my 2nd favorite time of the day (time to go home being the 1st :grin:)! Oh, and correction - in Switzerland, YOU play bluegrass music :+1:t2:!

11 Likes

I found the same thing Mike did, as I’ve snooped around the badges section quite a bit, and I hit my like limit several times before receiving “member” status. After becoming “regular” I never hit the limit (although I have given fifty likes in a day) until just recently, and it’s been stopping me.

"What is happening that indicates to you that you have run out of likes?"

The system gives me a message that says “thanks for sharing the love, you’re almost out of likes for the day” and then I have about five more and then it says “sorry you’ve used all your likes for today, please wait — (however many it is till the next day) hours and try again”
I don’t know what the exact number is, since I can’t even count that high with my shoes off… it’s just irritating, and I’m quite sure it’s stopping me before it should because if it wasn’t I’d already have the “higher love” badge

9 Likes

Gunnar, you do have that badge. It was there yesterday when I looked up your profile.

9 Likes

Oh, wow it didn’t tell me when I got that…

8 Likes

Thank you Simone!! Thats right! :blush:

10 Likes

Very interesting. I have seen that “more likes” before; I guess it didn’t register though. I may have read Gunnar’s problem backwards. I thought he was saying that since he became regular, he had less likes or ran into a limit he didn’t have before. I’ll keep investigating too.

9 Likes

Thanks for the info. Checking into it, as are the others, I think we’re all curious now.

I’ve seen this same issue/complaint on other forums (many forums use the same software) and the explanation is that an unlimited number of Likes cheapens the value of Likes and if Likes are indeed a currency as @Archie said, this would be true. The other explanations I’ve seen include the notion that it promotes more discussion. Perhaps. Anyway, still checking.

9 Likes

Ok that makes sense. Although I like to give likes as well as responses, like i would on Instagram

8 Likes

Testing the “like” theory.

11 Likes

8 Likes

I could use this feature in real life. You know, like, when my daughter is, like, trying to tell a story and, like, she has to break up every sentence, like, with 10 “likes” instead of just, like, cutting straight to the point. Like, you know?

Oh, I’m sorry. You’ve used up all your “likes” for today. Please tell the story the way normal humans speak.

22 Likes

bwaaahaahaahhaa…awesome!

big%20laugh

15 Likes

Like what? :wink:

12 Likes

So, how many likes did you do Daniel to get that message?

9 Likes

I have a 13 year old cousin I’m going to use that on.

11 Likes

When made the joke about the Like Police earlier I neither recognised the badges or acknowledgements that could be gained. This evening gained the Enthusiast endorsement.

Soon the bubble was burst as my wife said “10 consecutive days! Is that all you do”

12 Likes

Mark… Dude… Like, I like your post man! Like, it was… like awesome!

Yeah, what is it with younguns and that word when they tell a story!?

9 Likes