Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

No fear

I have to start to with a big “Thank you” to everyone that encouraged me to add the guitar to my banjo playing. You were absolutely right, it’s been nothing but a good thing.

Full disclosure, I’ve been having so much fun learning guitar, I haven’t touched my banjo in 3 days. Since I started, that’s the first time I missed one day of practicing, let alone three days. So today, when I picked it up, I was a little worried it would take some time to get back up to speed.

In reality, it felt like I’d been practicing everyday, and in fact, a lot of things were easier, especially fretting, because I was so used to the wider frets and neck of the guitar.

I’ve also found, there’s nothing to fear learning “hard” or “non-beginner” songs. They may be way more difficult for me at this level, but I enjoy a challenge, so why not. Worst case, I’m still making a joyful noise unto the Lord, and ain’t nothing wrong with that!

Thanks for letting me ramble.

Merry Christmas y’all! Happy New Year!

10 Likes

Glad you’re enjoying guitar, @mike_thomson!

That’s right! I often fail to make a “skillful” noise, but at least I can make a joyful one! :joy:

4 Likes

ya man!! Good to hear. And your right, somehow learning guitar has the ability to make you feel like you’ve been practicing your banjo even though your not. I’ve never had guitar playing set me back in banjo. The more the merrier!!

3 Likes

Haha. I knew by the subject that this was you. Your reputation precedes you :grinning:

3 Likes

LOL!!! Awesome! My voice is recognizeable. That’s every artist’s dream, right?

2 Likes

Am I the only one who thinks you’ve gone over to “the dark side?” :wink:

1 Like

I was probably always destined for the darkside… I’ve wanted to play guitar since I was little, but acquired a fear of it after a couple failed attempts. The banjo cured that fear, and now I have two instruments that I love. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s always good to venture into the unknown with a stout heart, a steady nerve and a faith in God.

Now I don’t want to hear no more about no geetars!
Six strings & five fingers is just not natural! :grin:

2 Likes

We’ll see if you still think that after playing for 2 month…

2 Likes

The most difficult habit to break, I’m finding, is planting my two fingers when picking. Holding a flatpick and planting the two fingers is very slow for me, but extremely comfortable because it’s what I’m used to. I’m trying to force myself to not touch the gee-tar top with my pickin’ hand. Ain’t easy.

I was at that stage a year ago. A drill that helped, when the guitar wasn’t around, was touching thumb to first finger as lightly as possible without them slipping off each other then rotating my wrist like I was shaking water droplets off and letting the remaining three fingers go limp and floppy while holding that imaginary pick as lightly as possible. I shook that planted feeling right away, and some tension too.

1 Like