Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Nic Bordwell from Moorhead, Minnesota!

What first got you interested in playing the guitar, mandolin or banjo?
I first was introduced to guitar via my band teacher. He was a great flat picker and I went to one of his concerts. I was mesmerized. I was only 12 at the time but my parents took me straight to the music shop and bought me a guitar. He taught me lessons for a few years and I was hooked.

Mandolin is my main instrument now. When I first discovered it, I was at a trampled by turtles concert. Erik Berry was playing the mandolin and lighting it up. Something had to of been different about their set that night because he had quite a few solos. The tremolo, frequency and overall portability really got me. Again, my parents purchased me one and I was off.

How long have you been playing and what’s your motivation to play?
I’ve been playing stringed instruments for roughly 15 years. I was 7 when I started playing saxophone, so 20 years playing music. Currently my motivation is my daughter. Every night we play together before bed. She’s on 3 so she bangs on her ukulele and I play little fiddle tunes or nursery rhymes.

What’s your goal when playing?
My goal is to have fun. I have a tattoo that says “Smile More.” If I’m not having fun and smiling while playing, man, I’m the one messing up there. Music is fun.

How long have you been a Gold Pick member?
I think I’ve been a gold pick member for roughly 7 months or so.

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
Man, that’s tough. I really liked his Nashville number break down. It was succinct enough to get me back to practicing but detailed enough to get me to think that way.

Are there any other instruments or genres of music that you enjoy playing?
I love playing Latin jazz and swing on my mandolin.

What artist(s) most inspire you? Who are your favorite musical heroes?
There is a long list but I’ll give my top two. Sam Bush inspires me because he’s always giving the song his all. It’s totally about the song and having fun while he’s playing. Secondly, David Grisman inspires me because he plays so many genres and hasn’t pigeonholed himself into any one. Its DAWG music. They both have a different approach and they’re both incredible.

If you could play in anyone’s band, who would it be and why?
Probably CAAMP. Their tunes would sound great with some mando.

If money was no object, what would be your dream instrument(s)?
I was fortunate to purchase my dream guitar this year, and IRIS DF. It’s a dream to play!

My dream mandolin is a LaPlant mandolin. He’s from near my hometown in Minnesota and is an incredible luthier. At 90 years old, he doesn’t have a lot of building days yet. I hope to own one some day.

What do you do for a living?
I am a head brewer/owner at Swing Barrel Brewing Co. In Moorhead, Mn.

When you’re not pickin’, what else do you spend your time doing?
First I’m a dad to a 3-year-old girl. So it’s usually Barbie’s and Disney activities. Otherwise I play disc golf and love to cook. Of course I brew beer too.

If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
Oof, boring answer incoming. I would more than likely read and do more house projects. Time is limited so giving me a chance to read a bit more and finish up on house fixes would be great.

Of course I’d play too. But I imagine most of the pickers I play with would be sleeping haha.

What would be the most amazing adventure to go on?
The next one! Life is an adventure. I tend to say yes and see where it takes me.

Thanks for letting us feature you @Nic!

8 Likes

gif Nic on being selected as this month’s Gold Pick Member

4 Likes

Nice to meet you Nic! She sounds like an awesome daughter, congratulations!

4 Likes

Loved meeting you, Nic! Thanks for your support of the site & keep pickin’ with that little girl!

4 Likes

Nice to meet you @Nic! I like meeting other Gold Pickers!

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing about yourself @Nic !

4 Likes

Great responses, @nic! Your daughter is very cute, and it’s great to see your bond with her. Take care!

3 Likes

I appreciate the feature! Thanks for allowing me to be apart of it!

2 Likes