Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

New Twist Frame Elliott capo

Man, you guys are killing me! I thought “OK, @Jake did a video. I’m finally going to see what makes a capo worth $200.” Still got nothing. What’s so dang special about these capos?

2 Likes

I was thinking the same @Mark_Rocka

1 Like

I’m starting to suspect it’s like owning something from Tiffany’s. You paid 10 times more for it, but it says “Tiffany’s” on it, so it’s inherently awesome.

3 Likes

Do you think they are maybe made of gold and then nickel plated to disguise the yellow metal? I can’t see many Scotsmen forking out $200 on a capo.

So you like to shop at Tiffany’s ?

For some, perhaps many, it’s not worth the money. I’ve never owned a car worth over $15,000, so I understand the hesitation. Some folks pay for utility only, others like to pay for craftsmanship and utility. But I do not believe you can have a better made capo with more craftsmanship than an Elliott. Is it a luxury? Absolutely. Can you get the job done just as well for less money? Of course you can. Is this an option for folks who want the best looking and life-long capo? Yep, there you go.

I’ve found that folks either think paying this money is ridiculous and will never do it, or they love the capos and buy several. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen anyone go from a hard stance in one category to the other.

6 Likes

I believe you @BanjoBen it’s what the buyer want’s to own. Otherwise who on earth would spend $4800 on a Stellling Master Flower Banjo, I did and I have no regrets.

3 Likes

Yup, that’s it in a nutshell fellas. Is spending that kind of money on a capo necessary? No. But neither is owning a high end pick, high end strap, or even a high end instrument for that matter. These capos operate flawlessly, last forever, and fit the instrument well. How this quality transfers to performance is that the sustain of the instrument is better while the sharpness of the note is minimized. So they do achieve better results. Slightly, but better.

When comparing things such as these, there’s a metaphor I like to use. When you can get something that’s almost as good for much less money, the question is always “is it worth it?” That’s only a question you can answer. An athlete in their prime that trains all year to shave a millisecond off their lap time…is a millisecond worth so much effort? To me, in this particular metaphor, no way! But to that athlete it could make the difference between winning and losing.

I guess the same thing applies here. If you can get something almost as good for far less, most people would go that route. And I don’t blame them at all…shoot heck, I am usually that guy myself. But there are some folks who weigh the expense of everything ($3k instrument, $100 strap, $40 pick, $200 in strings and maintanence annually, etc…) and decide that a nicer item such as this capo is really not that much in the grand scheme of things. And if it enhances their enjoyment and maybe helps their sound/playing even if by a fraction…then it’s worth it to them.

2 Likes

OK. I finally understand. Thanks for taking the time to spell it out for me. I own 2 $40 picks, so I get what you’re saying.

Maybe it’ll end up on my Christmas wish list so I’m not spending my own money. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Actually @Mark_Rocka I think they are possibly made from stainless steel which is more expensive to produce than regular steel.

1 Like

“The Heart wants what it wants - or else it does not care” - Emily Dickinson

4 Likes

I will say this… I have lost, or loaned/given away multiple capos in my life. I am pretty sure that most would never lose an Elliot. I have yet to lose a Blue Chip (knock on wood).

4 Likes

Yep. I don’t know if the Elliott capo is “worth” $200, but it sure is pretty. And I am pretty sure me playing an M38 Martin is punching above my weight class, but I own one and I’m not selling. As has been pointed out above, sometimes folks buy things for more than just utilitarian reasons (ask my wife about her 50+ pairs of shoes). And to be honest, I definitely did not need to buy the blingiest Blueridge dreadnought around (BR180). Sometimes you just want to own something that feels good to you, that inspires you and coaxes you into spending a few extra minutes practicing and playing your instrument.

Many folks here spend $30+ on a single pick, I get about 500 of them with my name and phone number printed on them for that much. I don’t worry about losing them, they are everywhere in my house.

My point is, do what feels good to you. Enjoy the small joys in life. And if an Elliott is in your future, then good for you! And enjoy it, cause it sure is pretty!

5 Likes

Comparing it to a car like @BanjoBen did above makes a lot of sense. A $2000 car will get you from point a to point b just as good as a $40,000 car. Of course you have to maintain the $2000 car a little more, but you could have spent $38,000 more and have a 3 yr warranty. What is dependability worth to you? It depends on the person.

1 Like