Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

New To Mando

Hi All

Just a quick hi to say hello and be gentle I’ve just started playing banjo and just bought this mandolin to begin that journey as well :+1:

3 Likes

Seems to be a lot of that going around :grinning:

You’re in the right place Lee.

Pretty mando.

1 Like

Thanks @Maggie can’t waitto get going :+1:

2 Likes

Welcome, and you’re gonna love it!

1 Like

i hope so @BanjoBen but my main focus will still be banjo but couldn’t resist the temptation to get myself an f type mando and hopefully the Ozark 2255S Deluxe will be a good starter for £300 used i’m sure if i trade up i will get my money back… really wanted an Eastman but here in the UK used ones are rare to find.

3 Likes

Should i get the last few frets removed as im finding that im picking over them and theres not a lot of room?

Thanks

1 Like

Lots of folks do and it’s called “scooping the fretboard.” I did this to my Gibson.

1 Like

ok cool will look into that and if you have any link to how to do it that would be cool as im pretty handy at woodwork/engineering

Thanks

1 Like

I don’t have a link, but here’s a pic from the top of my mando looking down:

2 Likes

If you look at most pros, about half of them have theirs scooped. Others get the Florida removed completely

1 Like

Thanks for that pal I’m gonna do it myself when I get the time and will post some pics :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for the pic Ben appreciate that :+1:

2 Likes

I think I could scoop it pretty quick with a chainsaw. Anyone wanna hold the mando while I do it?

3 Likes

Lol…

1 Like

I couldn’t find an armrest this side of the pond so made myself one :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

MATE, really? Nice job, looks great. I may have to hit you up for some custom work.

1 Like

Lol :+1:

1 Like

So finally decided to Scoop the fretboard on the Ozark :+1:

6 Likes

Nice job Lee. Did you pull the frets then use a router?

Seems much slower than my suggested chain saw approach :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Mike_R

Yes pal i heated up the frets with a soldering iron and removed before taking the router and scooping out the wood

i used a Dremel and a 3mm router bit and you need to be careful as the base of the router just about covers the gap between the two pieces of wood

Cheers

2 Likes