Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

New to banjo

Hi guys.
I’m brand new to the banjo. Please can you point me in the best direction to get me started on my journey? Not sure if I should learn chords or rolls or something else. All help will be greatly received.
Thank you.
Sarah

8 Likes

Hi Sarah, welcome to the BanjoBen forum. You’ll be able to find everything you need to get you on your way and lots of helpful and friendly people who are more than happy to chime in (except me; people find me ornery, I think I’m adorkable). Even Ben himself checks in from time to time.

Clicking this link will take you to the Beginning Banjo Learning Track which will take you each step and then check off your progress along the way; I love checking off items on a list.

You’ll get three lessons for free with the free silver pick membership. If you haven’t already gotten a gold pick membership, you’ll see a “join now” link in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Click that and you’ll see the benefits of the membership and prices. You’ll then have access to a treasure trove of content.

Feel free to ask questions, someone will jump in. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Cheers,
Maggie

10 Likes

Hi @slq3263.sq Sarah welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum. Since your NEW to the banjo the best place to start is the beginner’s learning path. Work your way through the lessons in order as best you can. Any time you have a question post it in the banjo part of the forum and either Ben, I or one of the other students will do our best to help.

https://banjobenclark.com/university/beginner-banjo

4 Likes

Hi Sarah, welcome.

4 Likes

As a Beginner, here’s my expert advice:

1. Do what these guys say and follow the Banjo Learning Track. The darn thing works!
  2. Don’t be a stranger. Post here often, even if it sounds like a silly question or comment. No one will belittle you, because no matter how advanced one is as a player, we’re all still Beginners. You’ll see!
  3. Have fun. This is really Rule #1, so you better memorize it.

Now go make some noise on the banjo! :grin:

5 Likes

Hello @slq3263.sq Welcome!!!

2 Likes

Welcome @slq3263.sq! That’s exactly what my learning track is for, and this kind group of folks on the forum are here to help with your questions along the way!

5 Likes

Thank you so much Miss Maggie

1 Like

Welcome Sarah

Before you know it you will be a few years in like me and picking away

The best advice would be to take it slowly and don’t get overwhelmed… from small acorns might oaks grow

Look at the tab in small parts like Lego blocks as a lot of parts are repeated throughout the track and appear in a lot of bluegrass tunes

4 Likes

Welcome, Sarah! Don’t have any advice to offer beyond the excellent ones above, but just wanted to affirm these comments and encourage participation in the forum. :grinning:

3 Likes

Thank you Lee

Thank you

Thank you Mark

1 Like

Welcome @slq3263.sq !

I sincerely believe that this site is not only the best instruction with the best framework and support that you will find… I am even considering live instruction in my comment (and personal experience) as I find this to be every bit comparable in quality but certainly superior in value! Ben’s approach is fun and unassuming, full of encouragement but also rich in meaningful content and depth in detail with the addition of guest artists contributions.

In this forum, you’ll benefit from a community of players of all levels with years of combined experience to support and advise you. Then, there is Ben’s General Store to supply you with anything you would ever need with friendly but OUTSTANDING service offered with your best interests in mind!

This is to convey that you have landed in the perfect place to start your journey and be guided through every level of your development with your instruction available whenever you need it… All on-demand when you set the times with the added value to repeat as often as you need to do so.

Enjoy your musical Odyssey and stop back to Share your experiences. Best of luck to you!

3 Likes

I’m not sure why I read this section, since I’m strictly a guitar guy, but I did notice that all of the helpful comments above did not address the initial question. My thought is that you have TWO hands and should be learning chords and rolls concurrently. Meanwhile I can tell you that should you be truly interested in learning this instrument you could not make a better investment than to purchase a lifetime membership in BanjoBenClark.com. Although the price may seem high it is a bargain in the long run. I have never regretted my choice in doing so. It will teach you practical music theory and take you from beginning technique through advanced playing. Forgive me the sales pitch, but I have played guitar for 60+ years, was self-taught, and have found terrific value since I became a member. Just sayin’

2 Likes

Asked

Answered

Confirmation