Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

New original, Raise an Irish Eyebrow

Here’s a jig I wrote recently, I played it slightly slower than usual so I could add some picked triplets

11 Likes

That’s awesome!

1 Like

Thanks!

What? C’mon man… How can you have this much talent? I’m glad you do though. That was sweet Gunnar.

Considering the title though I was anxiously awaiting that eyebrow thing you do but I didn’t see it. Nice smile though :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks! :joy::joy: my eyebrows aren’t exactly Irish, although I can speak in a way that would hide the fact… the title actually came from an article I read about Irish music in new york, in which it said “a raised eyebrow is likely consequential” and I thought hmmm, I could probably write a tune that could Raise an Irish Eyebrow, so I did

1 Like

Hmmmmmm pickled triplets. I never tried those… Tasty!

1 Like

Nice! By the way, what makes a jig a jig? Triplets? Something in the chord progression? :thinking:

Does not the classical song “Ode to Joy” sound much like a jig?

I can definitely hear high pitches flutes and folks dancing on a woolen floor to that tune. It’d fit right in at any Irish pub. Great job!

2 Likes

It is (Gunnar’s) courage (to call so)! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks y’all! @Treblemaker, it’s a jig because it’s in 6/8 time, as opposed to a reel which is 4/4, a polka 2/4, a slide 12/8, or a waltz 3/4. These are the names of different dances, based on time signature. It is also customary to use “jig picking” for jigs, it’s a down up down down up down pattern

4 Likes

That’s cool, and it makes it easy to understand. six eighth notes per measure. Beats 1 and 4 slightly accented, I believe.

Actually it’s Bach’s “Joy”, not “Ode to Joy”, that I was thinking of. Googled it, and it’s written in 9/8.

2 Likes

Yep! One way I’ve seen it explained is when listening to a tune, you can tell what it is by saying “jiggety jiggety” if it fits, it’s a jig. I haven’t heard of that Bach piece, but I was thinking ode to joy didn’t sound like one. Oh, 9/8 time is a slip jig.

1 Like

Y’all make sure to follow this young man on Instagram and see all his vids fresh off the press: https://www.instagram.com/africanbanjogunnar/

2 Likes

Yeah, I post things on Insta more often than YouTube cuz it’s quicker

I now have sheet music for this tune if anyone wants it

1 Like