Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

New Northfield Mandolin Dealer

I just got in this Northfield F5S mando…I’ve heard about these for a long while and finally got to spend some time with this one. The price on these with case is $2,995–this mandolin is worth that, folks. If you’re interested reach out to me via email or call us at 833-BANJOBEN. We’ll get this incredible instrument to you.

6 Likes

Sweet :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Sounds nicely balanced & stustains very well.
If it’s as good live as it is on the video it’s an excellent deal…I could almost feel its vibration here.

1 Like

Man that thing sounds fantastic! I don’t think I’ll ever play mando well enough to justify $3000, but it’s fun to hear people that play well enough to.

1 Like

Almost nobody that owns a $3,000 mandolin plays well enough to “justify” it. But if I lived by that logic I’d wear paper sacks for underwear.

I really don’t know if that made sense, but I think you get the point.

5 Likes

What a beautiful mandolin… and you play it so well. :wink:

Seriously… Love the sound!

I’ve owned the F5S – this mando – for about three years now. I can’t say enough good things about it. Peter and Adrian – the guys heading up Northfield when I bought mine – were fantastic and dealt with me like I was buying a custom, $6,000+ instrument. They made great recommendations on tone woods, based on the sound I wanted (suggesting an Engelmann spruce top). The tone woods, by the way, are all sourced here in the USA – the instrument is assembled in China by a hand picked, Northfield employed team. If you’re committed to the mandolin (and I’m not a professional musician) this is money well spent.

2 Likes

This reminds me of what happened after this past Christmas: My wife and I were on our way back from spending Christmas in Sarasota with my Dad and I wanted to stop at the Duluth Trading store outside of Middletown, OH. It’s right off I-75 so we stopped. I’m sure you all have seen some of the Duluth Trading underwear commercials. They sell much more than just underwear BTW, It’s like a Carhart store on steroids!

This part of the story might be a little TMI but who cares?! My wife bought me a pair of these way overpriced underwear about a year ago and they really are as good as they claim. Really comfy too! This is why we stopped. Anyway, my wife and I were waiting in the counter line and I looked over to the other line and there’s Joe Mullins and his daughter! It appeared he was returning a few items, most likely Christmas gifts. We talked for a little while, found out we both were married the exact same day (June 20th 1987) at 2:00. (Not to each other). We’re also the same age as well as our kids.

The point: I’m a professional on site propane technician, Joe is a popular and professional musician/businessman/radio station host (and owner I believe). Whatever we are in life, we all have to wear underwear… or at least paper sacks! So it’s ok to treat yourself to nicer things once in a while as long as you can afford it.

I think what Ben is saying (and I agree), you don’t have to be a certain caliber player before you have the right to own a high end instrument. We all work hard for our money and have the right to buy what we want once in a while… again, as long as we can afford it and we’re responsible.

I’ll close now, but first I want you all to know. Now I have two pair of Duluth Trading underwear (for special occasions only). The rest of the time, it’s whatever is on sale at Wal-Mart!

Boy, I sure hope Joe doesn’t find this!

J.W.

3 Likes

Excellent post! Small world with you and Joe. I have two pair of those fancy red Duluth underpants…they are great.

Hahahahaha!