Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

New MacBook

Hi Guy’s Just bought a new MacBook Air, I traded in my laptop because I didn’t really make much use of it and since this comes with a bunch of apps. including Garage band I thought I might as well grab the offer. So I may be calling on your expert advice as I fumble my way around. My PC will remain my main goto platform till I gain some confidence in this new toy.

3 Likes

Welcome to the greatest headache you’ll ever have. Seriously. I took 2 days off of work to learn my new MacBook when I bought it back in 2011 and went to bed with a splitting headache both nights. Nothing like being an IT guy and sitting down to a computer I have no idea how to use.

Fortunately, YouTube is now full of videos for new Mac users. Check out videos like these to get up to speed quick.

3 Likes

I found Macs to be so much more user friendly than PCs…I think you’ll enjoy having it.

1 Like

Thanks @Mark_Rocka YouTube is my Goto Spot,. Problem is most of these guys talk way too fast or have an Asian accents that’s hard to decipher

So far I have figured out how to do a basic setup and managed to connect to the internet. I skipped the Apple ID as I don’t use credit cards. Do I really need an Apple ID?

First task is updating the existing free apps. Pages, Numbers, Keynote and iMovies These have been running . 4 hours now and I thought the PC was slow.

Ordered up a few accessories, Mouse, USB Hub and a briefcase.

What other Accessories and Apps would you recommend. Free Apps preferred. My Visa Debit Card & PayPal accounts are getting squeezed a little this month

1 Like

You’re sitting pretty good…I wouldn’t buy anything else until you need it.

2 Likes

Just a couple of hours ago my daughter was telling me get a MacBook and now I see this post. Coincidence?? I had bought her one some 3 years ago. She loves it and she feels it is much more user friendly than Windows. I too thought like Mark that intuition is not enough but have to study some user guides to get familiar with it, which kept me away. But now I’m also planning to get a MacBook, maybe in the near future.

1 Like

Two downsides to the Mac compare to my old laptop is the size of the screen and near impossible to read the text. Already I am beginning to regret buying this.

Arrrrrrgh Tried to create Apple ID and it tells me my email address is already in use/. Never knew I had on must have create one years ago for the iTunes. This old dog needs help

PostScript… Finally figured out you need TWO email addresses what a drag…

With more content being displayed on a web pages, it is difficult for me to read even on a thinkpad like laptop with reasonable size screen. So I use a separate a 27" monitor.

You can change all the text, icon, application sizes. Also, you don’t need two email addresses. I only have one connected with AppleID.

2 Likes

@Archie, I am not a savvy computer person. After windows 10 came out I switched to fruit products. I am learning everyday. One of the IT guys at work told me to make sure my screen login was different from my Apple ID. For security reasons I guess. With the ID set up my other devices are synced. I only have one email connected for two factor authentication.

There is one inexpensive app I like, Magnet, it snaps and sizes the windows like MS. a few $$'s US. TABLEDIT installed with no issues.

1 Like

Thanks I finally figured out I needed to use two email addresses. just before I hurled the MacBook through the window.

1 Like

Hey @Mark_Rocka just to say that these tutorials are fantastic. Especially the bottom vid. Spent most of today just following along with his instructions. Cheers Buddy

1 Like

I like using Quicktime to make videos. I also use Tabledit on it. Oh and Facetime is much better than skype, but the other side has to have an apple product for it to work. I also use Messages a lot instead of texting on my phone. It is easier to type with keyboard than the tiny phone.

1 Like

@Archie
How is it going with the MACBook? I have confidence that you will figure it out and be posting tips and tricks in a short time.

1 Like

Hi Jeff Like the banjo, it’s a steep learning curve and progress is slow. Added to that I just started learning boogie woogie piano. Not been near a keyboard since I was 13 and never could play left hand. It would seem learning the banjo has given me the confidence to give it a go.

3 Likes