Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Never too old, but ……

Hi folks. I just joined this site moments ago. Like to ask you all a question and ask for 100% honesty. I don’t yet play the mandolin, but I’m very interested in picking it up and learning. But here’s my deal. I’m 62 years old. My hand/ eye coordination is still good but slowing my cognitive ability is still good but slowing, I can’t yet read music and I don’t play any other instruments and I have no practical experience with music other than as a listener. So the question is, how big of a challenge am I in for? I’m fully aware that it’s never too late to learn. But there is an age at which learning becomes exponentially more difficult than in your younger years. So what do you think? How big of a challenge am I in for?

6 Likes

Welcome to the forum @rws4184! I’m glad you’re interested in playing the mandolin! It is one of my favorite instruments (plus @BanjoBen makes an awesome teacher)! I would definitely agree with "It’s never too late to learn an instrument. It could be a bigger challenge, but if you set your mind to it (and it sounds like you did), it won’t be as hard. The most important part is to have fun learning the mandolin! (I don’t speak from experience, so my answer is just my opinion :smile:).

3 Likes

ABSOLUTELY GO FOR IT !!! : Learning a musical instrument is one of (if not the best) options for keeping your brain active. Not to mention all the additional physical, mental, emotional … etc. benefits. You will never regret it particularly if you’re nearing that long awaited/deserved retirement.
I’m many years your senior and just got into banjo and have never regretted it. Ben’s instruction is very well structured and his methodology is challenging but great fun. Key word … FUN !!!
He’ll also guide you toward your mandolin purchase.
Again, I’ll share a thought that’s posted in my practice area … “You CAN’T Go Back And Change The Beginning …But you CAN Start Where You Are And Change The Ending.”
Have loads of fun and enjoyment in your new venture. !!! :+1:

5 Likes

Hi @rws4184 Rick welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum

I started learning the 5 string banjo at 61 I am still learning at 76 best decision I ever made. I would say less of a challenge than you might think. Go take the plunge and have fun learning your mandolin it’s better than trying to hit a wee white ball into a hole with a long stick in the pouring rain. I should also mention @BanjoBen is an awesome teacher.

4 Likes

@rws4184, hello and welcome to the forum!

Here’s my thoughts…

Age should not be an issue as long as you are physically fit to play. With your music listening experience, learning should be faster. I’d do 2-months of rigorous training at the start, that is, minimum 1-hour (or more would be better, depending on the time you can afford) every day during this 2-month duration, on all the basic techniques and skills for both left and right hands. Use the beginner lesson (and intermediate lessons if necessary) on this site and try to get as clean as possible. This phase may not be too fun but after that you will begin to enjoy. 3 years would be a very realistic timeframe to achieve the level and goal you have in mind.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @rws4184. You will definitely not regret learning mandolin. I started around 50 with no experience. My only regret is I wish I would have discovered playing stringed instruments much earlier in life. You will find there are a lot of encouraging folks on the forum. Also, there are a lot of really good pickers that are always willing to give good advice with playing.

4 Likes

I’ve been teaching beginners’ guitar classes in an adult education university program for the past 5 years. There is no question that the speed of acquisition drops off with age, but the enjoyment factor goes up. So, go for it! I would take some exception to the suggestion that you commit to an hour per day to start your journey. One of the “rites of passage” in learning a string instrument is sore fingers. It is easy to become discouraged early on if you have the notion that you can play an hour on “newbie” fingers. I personally believe that 15 minutes daily is a reasonable goal to start, with practice time increased as the finger threashhold improves. ENJOY

2 Likes

Yep - I resemble that remark - started mandolin at 47, no prior string instrument experience.

Ditto!

Yes, definitely!

@rws4184 Hello & welcome Rick!
If playing, and attempts at playing bring you joy, you’ll roll along with the challenges as they come, improving along the way, while also having fun.

Every player of every instrument, at every skill level, has challenges - past and present, and will continue to face challenges in the future. It’s just part of it.

You CAN DO this!!! :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Welcome to the neighborhood! My #1 prediction is that the only thing you are going to regret about picking up the mandolin at 62 is that you didn’t pick it up earlier. That’s not because the learning gets more challenging… and, well, it does (I’ll be 70 soon…) but because making music is so much fun! As others have already said, Ben is an amazing teacher. More importantly, he’s a really good guy… who really cares about you as a person. Now, my suggestions for you… in no particular order…

• Don’t buy a cheap mandolin and expect it to work for you right out of the box. Any new instrument should be properly set up by a trained expert. The better quality instrument you get (and I’m sure you’ve already priced some), the more satisfying your experience will be and the quicker you will learn.
  • Play with other people. Sure they’ll be better than you, but we all started where you are…
  • I don’t want to sound like a commercial, but Ben’s Cabin Camps are a great experience. You are immersed in the music for the whole time, learning new things about the music and meeting some of the nicest folks anywhere.
  • Most important thing: HAVE FUN making music. Whenever I get bummed about not being able to learn that fancy lick or amazing chord progression, I just remind myself when I’m sitting at home alone, playing for my own enjoyment… that I’m the greatest mandolinist in the room!
5 Likes

As a permanent Beginner who turned 70 in January, here’s my expert advice:
Have fun. There is no other rule. “Anything worth doing is worth doing badly.”
It’s quite possible to screw up every note as your fingers cramp & bleed but still have fun.
Even in your darkest days, you will be a little bit better than the day before.
Practice comes in many shapes & sizes. Have fun!
Use the Forum a lot, especially if you have “silly” questions. It’s part of the fun. Everyone discovers different things on the journey, and we all re-invent the wheel once in a while. As a whole, we tend to share in each others delight.
Finally, follow the mandolin learner’s track - It’s the right track!
https://banjobenclark.com/university/beginner-mandolin-checklist

3 Likes

I’d really like to see a special Banjo Ben camp only for “PERMANENT BEGINNERS” !!!
I’d definitely sign up for that one !!! :+1::laughing:

1 Like

I think you would be shocked at the overflow attendance!

1 Like

You can guess what I’m gonna say, and it sounds a lot like a Nike slogan…

5 Likes