Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Netgrass: Hard Times

Nope, went and checked it out. Needed a fret job and a neck reset thatā€™s $600 basically, so I offered $1000.00. The guitar was ā€œOKā€ but she just did not ā€œsing to meā€. The funniest thing is that the guy called me back 2 days after and said heā€™d sell it for $1000. I then told him that I wouldnā€™t as it was nearly an hour drive to go look at it.

I think I could have dumped $1000 into it and had a really nice guitar though!

Another Question:

How are we gonna split up the vocals for Hard TImes? Letā€™s finish this thing. MIke are you gonna throw down the little guitar intro if not, what were you thinking would be a cool instrument for the intro?

I have not been playing a lot of guitar, with spring here and all I have been busy, however my schedule cleared this week and I picked the guitar back up yesterday and worked out ā€œArkansas Travelerā€ which took most of the day. I will now play that dude about 1000 times and add it to my pay list.

Heading to Texas (Brownsville) next week, so I will fill my crawl with guitar this week and am ready to work on something, be it Harmony vocals for Hard Times or a new Netgrass projectā€¦should be Larryā€™s pick this time!

Oldhat

Smart move not to buy it if it didnā€™t seem like a good fit for you.

I am all for finishing up hard times, unfortunately I have hit a busy stretch. I wonā€™t be able to do much if anything for a few weeks. I might be able to get on something later in the first week of June (after the 5th or so). If anyone wants to throw something in there, have at it. Larryā€™s got his dobro chops honed, so that might be a fun addition.

So no takers for Hard Times vocals?

Heading into Mexico here shortly, if I make it back I will work on some vocals once I get back to Tennesseeā€¦maybe in a week or so. If no takers I will see what I can come up withā€¦Iā€™ve got a 13 year old that sings like a bird, maybe I will get her to throw something down.

Oldhat

Hey Jesse, I look forward to hearing some vocals!

Iā€™m just back from a long weekend at the Florida Folk Festival and Iā€™m ready to mix vocals.

I am gonna try and get my daughter to sing a bit for Hard Times. I do not think she will want to do the entire song, so what are we gonna do with all the verses? I say we divvy it up and put a close to this project. Any takers on any particular verse?

Oldhat

Itā€™s not an ideal key for me, but Iā€™ve got some friends coming over to pick this weekend and Iā€™ve got a great candidate to handle some of vocals. Iā€™ll see if I can get her to sing into the can for us.

Once we got rolling last night, I didnā€™t want break the flow with a recording session, so I got no vocals recorded. :frowning:

Did you have fun?

Lots-o-fun was had. We had a pretty good mix of instruments: 3 guitars, 2 mandolins, 2 fiddles, and 1 dobro between 6 pickers. Banjo player and bass player didnā€™t make it, though.

I didnā€™t want to be the buzz-kill the ruined the circle by messing with computer stuff and then demanding everyone get quiet while we recorded. Thatā€™s why I have no vox recorded today.

Sounds like a good time. Thatā€™s a good group. I just got done with my group tonight for the first time in a month. We were overdue. Iā€™m gonna have to make time for it. We didnā€™t quite have the same variety of instrumentsā€¦ we had 8 guitars :slight_smile:

8 guitars! Iā€™ve been in a few jams like that. I usually start experimenting with new positions or just playing fills when it gets guitar heavy like that.

[attachment=0]sheet music.jpg[/attachment]

Well, to be honest, itā€™s a group GTR lesson followed by a jam session. I got out the mando and one friend played a uke once the jam got going, but it was still badly over balanced by GTRs.

Love the sheet music comic!

Wow, Dude done a fine job on the lyrics! If there are any songs that are fit for that Irish accent then it is ā€œHard Timesā€ and he def stepped up and gave us thatā€¦sounds absolutely great in my opinion!

We can finally put this one to bed!

http://www.kompoz.com/compose-collaborate/home.track.project?trackId=274451

Yep! He did a fine job with the vocals, and just when I was thinking weā€™d never finish this project.

I uploaded it to our netgrass page over on Soundclick, too: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12466302

Yay!!!

Kompoz reputation point palooza!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

I found by accepting tracks, we can greatly increase the reputation points. Since Larry had a bunch of tracks submitted to Hard Times and I was the project owner it had a pretty big impact on him. He went from 43 up to 160 something. I also got Jesse up over the 200 point barrier. Heā€™s the first of our crew over the Mendoza line.

haha, I have not heard Mendoza line in awhileā€¦of course I never had to ride the pine and was lead off batterā€¦bunted a lot and was quick, that is why my average was 201 :laughing:

I will do the same for you Mike (on accepting tracks).

I heard from Eoghan about helping with another project via PM. I told him I could post it for you all here.
kompoz.com/compose-collabora ā€¦ ctId=41450

Ozzieā€¦ this one could have a nice bass track added!

Good deal on accepting tracks. I had never noticed that button before. I went back and accepted everyoneā€™s tracks from our old projects, too.

Thatā€™s a neat song Eoghan has going, but Iā€™m not exactly sure what to add to it. It already sounds pretty complete. A mandolin chop would probably fit, but Iā€™m not so sure about dobro.