Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Nehemiah Reed from Normandy, TN!

What was it that first got you interested in playing the guitar, mandolin or banjo?
I knew that music was a part of me in some way, but after commitment issues as a younger kid, I didn’t really have any musical talent of any sort. Seeing my dad play his assortment of interesting and beautiful instruments, I got hooked and decided it was gonna be well worth the commitment.

How long have you been playing and what’s your motivation to play?
I had played guitar years ago, but decided to pick it up again around December of 2020. At first, I didn’t know why I was really wanting to, but I know now that my motivation is the desire to be able to do something with my family that we can all enjoy and grow in together.

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
I really enjoyed using the site to learn Cripple Creek on guitar, and I’ll say it helped me grow so much because it was really helpful on learning to pinpoint time signatures and get my tempo correct.

What’s your goal when playing?
I honestly just want to play well enough to know what I’m doing, have a real level of confidence, and be able to pick a song and play with the family.

Are there any other instruments or genres of music that you enjoy playing?
Bluegrass really is my favorite, but I also really enjoy listening to and (attempting) to play Country, Southern Rock, and Americana.

How long have you been a Gold Pick member?
Our family has been a part of the community for years, though December of last year was the when I began utilizing the site frequently.

Do you have a favorite technique? What is it?
I enjoy and probably am the best at flat-picking. I prefer the sharper sound than normally achieved with most finger-style on guitar.

If you could play in anyone’s band, who would it be and why?
Hard question, but I will say after some thought it became pretty clear. I would choose to be a member in The Punch Brothers. Their music consists of some traditional bluegrass feel, as well as some genre agnostic/contemporary bluegrass kind of music. I’ll also say Chris Thile seems like an interesting guy… I’d like to meet him.

What type of gear or accessories have you found that work best for you?
Being truthful, there isn’t one specific thing that I’d always run to when playing anything. Wegen Bluegrass picks are often what I pick up when I plan on flat-picking though.

If money was no object, what would be your dream instrument(s)?
Honestly, I’m not very educated on makes and models of nice instruments, but I’ll say that I’d like a very nice guitar, that being my favorite instrument. I’ve been told that Martin D18 is a very nice Bluegrass guitar, so I’d start by checking one of those out.

If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
Short answer, I’d read, listen to music, and pick up an instrument or two.

How did you find out about Banjo Ben?
Our family formerly lived in Colorado, and my dad personally met Ben. I learned about him around Christmas when I picked music up again.

Thanks for letting us feature you Nehemiah!

24 Likes

Awesome bio Man! Congrasts and hope to see you around!

2 Likes

gif Nehemiah on being selected as this week Gold Pick Member

1 Like

Nice to get to know you. That is a sweet looking guitar!

2 Likes

Congratulations Nehemiah on being the GPotW! Great article, all the best!

2 Likes

Congrats! It was fun to pick with you last camp, I hope to see you at more

2 Likes

Wow! So advanced for one so young. Congratulations!

2 Likes

It was wonderful to get to know you at camp. You’ll have to get involved more on the forum.

2 Likes

Congratulations Nehemiah, and it was so great playing with you at the camp!

2 Likes