Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Need planting encouragement

I bought Ben’s planting rings for banjo players and while it does help me stay planted, I have taken a step back in terms of my playing because I am used to playing with a free hand. Is this worth it? I believe in having good technique and I see everyone from earl Scruggs on down planting their pinky. I am hoping that once I get used to constantly planting my pinky that my playing will eventually improve. Please give me some encouragement based upon experience gentlemen.

4 Likes

Firstly not a banjo Player but am a guitar player who plants when FingerPicking . Many years and other players telling me don’t do it and should not have listened its like perfecting a Golf Swing to then once at your best playing it about with again. Its cost many a Golfer a career!

Here I am now older than I care for and am very much planted.

Let your comfort tell you! Picking Rings?

2 Likes

Trust me, you’ll get it! It took me several months to start getting comfortable with planting, and I hadn’t been a free floater on guitar before. Keep on keeping on, and it’ll start feeling more and more comfortable. 100%, it’s worth it. There’s a noticeable tone and power benefit that comes from the extra leverage you get while planting.

2 Likes

Consider yourself encouraged! Planting and Scruggs banjo do seem to be the way that all (or at least most of) the good ones do it. I had trouble learning banjo the first time (pre Ben) because those finger picks kept getting in the way. I didn’t get far and quit for a decade. Next time I tried (with Ben), I just did what he told me. It was a few weeks and I didn’t even think about the picks anymore.

Hang in there! Practice short times often and I bet it will be natural to you real soon. I also expect that you will soon be better with a plant than without.

4 Likes

Hey @davidsonpaul78 you might want to try wearing a ring with a little weight on your planting planting pinky finger. I wear one on my ring finger and find that it keeps my planting fingers more relaxed. If you notice, the Earl, Ben, and a lot of other people play with rings but it could bother some folks. Just thought I would mention it. I know it’s hard at first but planting your fingers is worth it and it sound like your on the right track. Happy picking :grinning:

4 Likes

So that’s why they wear a ring? I thought they just liked it :joy:

3 Likes

planting engagement that is.

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I meant that last statement more to show that it’s possible to be able to play good wearing rings. Although it could be the most unspoken secret of banjo players :laughing:. Notice though that Ben floats his ring finger that he wears his signet on.

2 Likes

As a Beginner, here’s my expert advice: When people who are really good at something tell you to do something a particular way, it’s to you advantage to do it that way. It may seem awkward, difficult or plain silly, but the people who are really good at something know what they’re talking about.
I’m a much better canoeist because I took tips from pro racers. If Ben says I will be a better picker if I bury a chicken heart by the crossroads during a full moon while reciting Taylor Swift lyrics, I might think twice about it,
Then I will sneak out of the house, hoping my wife doesn’t wake up!:scream:

4 Likes

You can’t get more authoritative than that!!!

5 Likes

I thought it was a Pigs liver and LeAnn Rimes_darn wasted years -every night as well worn out 3 spades!

2 Likes

@BanJoe @BanjoBen Is this Platinum membership?

4 Likes