Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Need help naming this tune!

Heard this mystery song about 8 months ago - I’ve had it in my head ever since. I dont know what it is or where I heard it. Been trying to figure it out to no avail. I’m probably remembering it wrong and playin it wrong. Tried to do the app on the phone that tells you what song it is - got nothing… which may go back to me playin it wrong… if anyone out there recognizes this I’d be grateful to know what it is!! Thanks!

5 Likes

That happens to me frequently… hope you figure it out, if not, make up a name for it and claim authorship

2 Likes

sounds like an English Folk song to me and well played…

3 Likes

Sadly I can’t help with the name, Elizabethan perhaps,

Sounds like music for Lute & Harpsichord

2 Likes

Sounds quite a bit like “Cold Frosty Morning” played at a slower than usual tempo.

And here, closer to the style you’re playing it.

3 Likes

I know exactly what song this is. My daughter Meli plays it all the time on her fiddle. It’s called “Captain O’Kane” by Turlough O’Carolan. Hope this helps!

4 Likes

Hi Neil @Deere_Crossing I think you nailed it

3 Likes

Yes yes yes!!! That’s it :smiley:!!! Thank you so much @Deere_Crossing & @Archie! This has been in my head all this time, playing it by ear. Now I know what it is so I can track down some information! Thanks again so much! :blush: Captn O Kane, woo hoo!

3 Likes

Hi Simone, Turlough O’Carolan was an Irish Composer and died in 1738. If your interested in learning more of his tunes.

Check out this website…https://pickinlessons.com/

2 Likes

Here’s the music. Interestingly enough, Turlough O’Carolan (1670-1738) was blind from age-18 due to smallpox. He was an amazingly prolific composer.

3 Likes

Very nice Simone and thanks for sharing!

Hey Archie, is there a CD available that has that Youtube video or something very similar? I could listen to that for hours!

Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi Jeff, I have no idea, I just searched YouTube and up it popped.

2 Likes

Guess I’ll have to do some investigating!

Thanks!

3 Likes

Nice job Deere. I just noticed Simones’s fan in her post and was trying to post one of my feline fan. The image was too big.

3 Likes