Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Name your top Alan Munde songs

You probably already know this, but in case you don’t, Alan Munde will be teaching at the all banjo camp next Spring. I’d kinda like to pick with him, and it’d be cool to pick HIS songs with him, but I’m not sure I even know how to play any.

What are your favorite Alan Munde tunes?

6 Likes

Hi @Mark_Rocka

These are all pretty advanced and come with a hand written tab booklet I learned them from his DVDs available from his website.
Peaches & Cream
Lime Rock
Under the Double Eagle

5 Likes

What @Archie said plus Forked Deer, Lonesome Indian (or Lost Indian) and Bill Cheatham.

6 Likes

Oh! I didn’t realize Bill Cheatham was his. YAY! I already know one. :slight_smile:

Thanks guys!

5 Likes

I think @BanjoBen has done some tunes by Alan @Mark_Rocka Possibly Red Wing

2 Likes

This is a pretty good version of Sally Goodin. Alan plays a real nice banjo break up and down the neck. One nice thing about fiddle tunes is that they can be deconstructed and reassembled. It would be interesting to have Alan describe how he combines the A and B sections of the tune and what he is doing in backup. Next time I’m in Oklahoma, I’m planning to swing by the Double Stop Fiddle Shop and get a tee-shirt or something.

4 Likes

Of all that have been mentioned so far, I think only Peaches and Cream was composed by Alan. The rest are traditional fiddle tunes that Alan has nice, approachable arrangements of.

4 Likes

OK, that’s what I was thinking. I guess I need to get online and find a list of Alan’s originals. Thanks!

1 Like

I am sure Lime Rock was arranged for the banjo by Alan After hearing Byron Berline playing it on the fiddle.

1 Like

I’m working on his version of Red Wing now. It is a fun song to play and I remember hearing it at family reunions when I was a youngun.

3 Likes